1,000 crickets coming

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Advent, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

Yea, the local pet store is ordering bulk for me when i need them.

1000- 20 bucks (12 plus over-night shipping)

Yea, so a 50 gallon rubbermaid tub will do? I'll just use paper towel for the water source (soaked in water obviously). And gutload them in a smaller aquarium 60 at a time. I'm also going to breed them for smaller crickets for my crested when i get him. They'll multiply fast, so I might just give them back to the pet store for like 1 cent per cricket or something.

For breeding i'm just going to use moist potting soil (can you reccomend a brand?).

I'm going to keep them in my garage for smell purposes. I'll use 2 flood lamps to keep them warm. Will they be able to sleep with the light on all the time? It will warm up here pretty soon ( I live in Houston ).

Thanks.

Please add any other things you think I should know about keeping bulk crickets.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

That's a lot of crickets....But a normal on-line order. You can use vermiculite. I used sphagnum moss. They are most active at night, so the light might bother them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

if you are going to use soil, then go to home depot and ask for Top Soil.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Advent

Advent Member

Alright, thanks.

What should i use to keep them warm though?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. marsvolta

marsvolta New Member

1,000 crickets is the scariet thing i have ever heard of.

i have the most ridiculous fear of crickets... and yet 12ft long pythons and leeces don't phase me.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Marsvolta, we get them in @ 30,000 when we have babies.... talk about scary!
    I once dropped a gutload tub of 2000 on the floor and had crickets everywhere in the dining room. I was sick and not real stable.... so grabbed a few dragons to help by getting the ones that escaped off the tile floor and and sweep them back to the tile floor til someone got home to help me sweep them all up.

What an experience!

12. marsvolta

marsvolta New Member

AH! that story gave me the creeps. haha i so see myself falling apart under that situation. (btw i love how you handled it... getting out the beardies i bet they loooooved that!) rahh crickets i hate em

13. Advent

Advent Member

Again, what should i use to keep them warm?

14. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

advert,

If your garage gets colder than 60F, I would just use a normal household light in a dome fixture or you can buy an undertank heat pad. They do fine in the 70's -80's

Cooler temps slow growth, warmer temps they grow faster

15. Advent

Advent Member

Thank you.

16. jmphysics101

jmphysics101 New Member

I ordered 500 crickets, and put them in a rubbermaid tub, and they kept escapeing. I"d move the tub and find 10-12 under it. I kept them in the backyard-since roomate is terrified of them, and after the cold front came through, i lost most of them. The ones that survived were in a sad state, so i decided to feed the local wildlife and let them go in my backyard. MISTAKE!!! They are INVADING! They have made it to my front yard, and when i open my front door, the come back inside. This is why i'm switching to silk worms

17. Crazy_Fool1

Crazy_Fool1 Member

lol let them loose to feed the wildlife... how decent of ya! and CheriS great idea getting the beardies help...thats thinkin outside the box... i just got my first oder of 1000 crix too and its actually mind boggling to shake them all out into my big tub and se them just keep coming.... and coming and coming.... i had no idea what 1000 looked like because until now ifd just buy 30 or so per day from petland on my way home from work

18. Advent

Advent Member

Just got them, and yea I know what you mean crazy fool. I opened it up, and dumped them in, first thing I know they were all on my hands and everywhere ugh.

19. outback_fire

outback_fire Member

yep...takes some practice to get thme in without that happening

20. kjay

kjay New Member

cheri 30,000 what would that cost and where did you order from, wow