1 eye closed 85% of time?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Philly, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Philly

Philly New Member

as the topic states.... he tends to keep his right eye closed very frequently, even if i make noises on that side of him its usually not enough to get him to open that eye to check me out, he will only open it when i take him out of the cage and he is crawling up my arm?

could this be signs of an eye infection?

i know my beardie did the same thing for a little while, but not near as frequent?
    just wondering if there is a way to treat this (even if he doesn't have an infection) without a visit to the vet to determine an eye infection?
    it looks totally normal when it is open thought

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. crusty1

crusty1 Member

hmmm....did u check him for left over left over shed...if u didnt, and there is, get some mineral oil, rub it on carfully and gently with a cutip and it should work its way off...how longs he been doing this for?? cause a similar thing happend to my friends leo gecko...apparently he left the left over shed skin on for wayyyyy to long...and now his eye is always closed a bit more thaan the other one...he took him to the vet and hes completly health other wise...no infection...just everyother day he puts a tad of mineral oil in the eye lid to grease things up a bit lol...maybe try puting a dab of mineral oil on his eye lid just in case...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

Mineral oil or olive oil can help. I would check his eye with a torch as well to see if there is anything stuck in there, a grain of sand or dust maybe. You could also try flushing his eye out with water as well and see if this makes a difference. If he is still; doing this, I would def get it checked out at the vet.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Nibbler_s_revenge_

Nibbler_s_revenge_ New Member

PS if he is still opening his mouth, babies do this quite a lot, i also forgot to state this in my other post.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. i_3_Scooter

i_3_Scooter New Member

something very very similar is going on w/my wd right now, but sure hers is an infection, her bottom lid is very swollen. i've asked around at numerous pet stores and even the area vet up here told me to just get turtle eye drops. i've been using them since last wednesday and am already starting to notice a difference, nothing groundbreaking, lol, but an improvement. i also give her a warm bath in the sink every day (giving the sink a good scrub down first), making sure i get her eye moist. because when it's wet she'll open it, letting me get the drops actually on her eye. apart from this it's largely closed. but now after using these drops when she does open it she can now open her eye all the way. it used to be just barely. vet said if that doesn't clear up in a week to take her in to get checked out. i'm not like, trying to sell you on these drops, lol, just saying they seem to be working, but this may just be a special case kinda thing.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. chumbleigh

chumbleigh Embryo

eye infection

First... I know little about lizards and have only just started the learning in Oct. but I try hard to reserch and I work hard to make sure that all my info is as correct as possible......so please if you have any comments PLEASE make them.. I need all the help I can get.

I have been battleing an eye infection in my wd since <> Dec. It finally cleared up just in the last couple weeks. I work at a pet store and this was one of the WD we got (he was still a little wrinkle face... too young I think)
    I don't have the $ for a vet seeing as he's headed back to the pet store when he's well. When it first started it was just a closed eye (for weeks) then I noticed it wasn't clearing so I took him home. A daily regime of salt water dropped on the eye helped alot but then I had to go away for 10 days in Jan and my buddy did just basic care and feeding... He was worse when I got home. Polysporine eye drops came next... then (knowing dogs are not lizards) I took a page from when I got my puppy (who was abused and his eye was damaged) the vet had given me MURO its a thick sodium chloride fluid, that worked wonders..... KABOOM one fixed eye. You can buy this over the counter if you want to try it, but as a last resort I think... it's about $15 canadian and it does sting the eye. (his eye membrain looked like it was throbbing sometimes but if I just picked him up he seemed to relax a bit and the throbbing went away.) I used it about 1/2 as much as they recommmend.

You can tell he sees out of it now but he's about 6 months and been sick for 1/2 his life so he's not really growing... but I believe that will kick in soon.

Don't think that a closed eye is only that, keep your eye on it incase it gets weepy, crusty, or otherwise funky.... the more I can get him to drink the better the eye gets... so I think hydration is a big factor (humidity only goes so far if they arn't drinking (which mine wasn't really unless I put him in the water and dripped water on his head.) Clean the tank well and make sure he drinks.

12. WTR_DRGN_MASTER

WTR_DRGN_MASTER New Member

RE: eye infection

he could have an ifection or just have something in his eye, you should probably take him to a vet and get him checked out.

13. A7X

A7X New Member

RE: eye infection

IF the eye is swollen and always closed it is mostl likly an infection. Could lead to medibloic bone disease. My beardie had MBD,he is one of the few beardies on record to have surrvived this very serious illness. HE and the water dragon are both agamids so the way they react to it should be the same, get your dragon in to the vet IMEDIANTLY!!!!