13yo son wants a lizard..One he can interact with.kinda long

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by tupi1, Feb 11, 2007.

1. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

He wants one without big claws or teeth.He is afraid of my tegu for some reason(we are working on that) and obviously my tokays are not good for him either..
    He wants to be able to hold it and have it hang out with him while he is on his comp. He has a little wc prairie skink he has had for a long time and it will beg for food but still wont let him hold him.He doesnt want a bearded dragon, says they have spikes on them.Which is fine since I really dont want to deal with UVB lighting but I will if necessary..
    Im thinking leopard gecko, what do you think..Any better suggestions?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. papercut

papercut Member

RE: 13yo son wants a lizard..One he can interact with.kinda

yeah I agree with leo gecko or AFTs they are actually more calm than leos are are they same basic requirments as leos just temps and humidity are different

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Like papercut has said, AFTs are also a good choice. I also have to put my vote in for a crestie. These are awesome lil guys with great personality, and don't bite. They also have very basic requirements, and supplemental heating is not always neccessary. They also do not require a LIVE diet. I still feed crix as a treat a few times a week though :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Both cresties and Leos are good choices

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

Can you handle cresties. they look kinda fragile to me.I will look into the AFT too..Thanks.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. beezneez

beezneez Member

Cresties are good. I don't have one, but from what i read, yes they are quite handleable. They are also good because they aren't quite as fast as a leo and will never attempt to bite. I'd say they are a good choice for your son.

12. pjblink

pjblink Member

As far as im aware, cresties are faster than leo's, and can jump when scared/excited. But they are very cute, and great pets.

Leo's on the other hand can't climb glass or walls, so are a very handleable gecko. Both are perfect starters.

13. 00luke00

Yeh, cresties do seem to be a bit faster than leos, and can jump, but when they are tamed, and/or get older, they do tend to calm down. Both are good when it comes to handeling.

14. tupi1

tupi1 New Member

I think I will go with a leo.They are less expensive then cresties and Ive seen them at our local petstore but Ive never seen cresties around here..Although one of these days I might get myself a crestie or two..Thanks all

15. bodom85

bodom85 Member

You could check into schneider skinks. they get to be about 14" long. very friendly and love to be held. they eat crickets, bananas and some other things. but they do require uvb. not really hard to care for. i had mine on shelf liner. very nice pets indeed. and i think they have a 20 year life span. but if you dont want uvb then id go with an AFT or leo maybe crestie.

16. beezneez

beezneez Member

"Personally, I find these geckos to be even tamer than leopard geckos. They are much easier to control because they cling to you with their toes and they have soft skin. These geckos will generally allow you to handle them for short periods of time, if handled gently. These geckos tend to calm down with age, and will usually become very laid back in most cases; however there are a few who are flighty. I don't recommend handling young crested geckos under the age of four months; this is the stage when they are most likely to drop their tail. Keep handling as enjoyable and stress free as possible; never handle your gecko roughly, if they drop their tail it will not grow back."

-straight from the caresheets on RR.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index...-94-page-1.html

17. 00luke00

tupi, it's great news that you are getting a leo, they are GREAT pets, however, they aren't neccessarily cheaper than cresties. Well, not in the long run anyway. Cresties generally, do not need any artificial lighting, and can be fed a totally non-live food diet if you wished. But hey, if you are still leaning towards the leo, go for it! My leo Tiger, is my tamest pet yet (although my crested is only around 8 weeks old, so is obviously still a bit jumpy but pretty easily handled) and is so laid back!

Good luck on whatever you decide on! Luke

18. Scales2500

Scales2500 New Member

hey, im 13, and a leo is perfect for me. they don't smell, don't require a big expensive terrarium, handle easily, and they're inexpensive. They'll live up to 15 years, and as far as i know, there easy to breed. (I will soon find out :D) it depends on what your so wants. Good luck!