2-3 mmonth old BP

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by DarkMana, Sep 6, 2005.

1. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

How often should a ball python this age be eating? I've tried feeding it twice a month (once every 2 weeks) but refuses so I've been feeding him once a month any ideas if this is too little?

Ry

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

yikes, when i had a little guy like that i would feed every week with no problems. how big and what kind of prey are you offering?

~Will.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Once a week or once every 4 to 5 days.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

im offering mice hoppers, what are some of you guys techniques for feeding? I have an (almost year old) as well and he eats anything that gets put in front of him

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Janice

Have you tried rat pups? My little one has been eating rats for the past month and he's about 3 or 4 months old.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

hmm ill have to look for sellers (rat pups), hes eaten frozen thawed for the last 2 months so im gonna keep offereing them,

12. Janice

Frozen/thawed is fine, but I think mouse hoppers are way too small for your guy.

13. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

naw i dont think so, hes pretty tiny (hense the not eating lol) hes thin and about a foot long..

14. Janice

I am pretty sure you can start baby ball out on rat pinkies. So a 2 to 3 month old should be eating something bigger than a mouse hopper.

15. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

in tersm of mouse size what size should he be eating? (if i cant find rats) this is one of 2 ball pythons i own and there is a definite difference in size between the 2

i dont know if im trying to feed it wrong or what? any ideas on how to get a picky eater eating? how do u guys warm up the prey? how do u actually feed it do u just leave it in there?

16. Janice

Did you do the mouse zombie dance? Make sure the mouse is really warm and dry the wet fur. And make sure his temps are correct. Usually dangling the mouse above the snake does wonders. If the snake is interested, it'll look toward the mouse and stick out its tongue. If it isn't interested, it'll slither away from it or ball up. When was the last time he shed?

17. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

not too long ago, ive been having lot sof issues with this snake..
    he still has about an inch from head down his neck of shed that still will not come off for the life of it,

I've tried everything to get it off but it just wont come off ive soaked him his humidites are fine hes got a big watewr bowl to soak in and such ive tried assisting using a cuetip bit its still really on there..

(and ya ive tried the zombie dance!!! hehe i love that name!! lol)

18. Janice

What are you using to measure the temps?

19. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

temp gun

20. Janice

Do you have a digital probe therm? have you any idea what the ambient air temp in the hot side is? What are you using to heat the enclosure, UTH or heat lamp?

21. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

heat lamp. and its around 88-90F in the warm side and no idea about the cool side.. id have to check when i get home..

22. Janice

Hmm, a heat lamp should be heating the tank well enough. I don't know what it could be, then. Are you sure the mouse is heated enough?

23. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

how hot should it be? whats your method for heating it?

24. Janice

When did he eat last for you?

25. DarkMana

DarkMana New Member

hmmm 3 weeks ago i tried to get him to eat 2 days ago on sunday he just refused, he didnt look interested at all.. maybe im not getting it hot enough, how do u get your hot?