2 babywater dragons, one brown and sad, one green and happy

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by TammyL1000, Nov 22, 2004.

1. TammyL1000

TammyL1000 Embryo

We got two baby water dragons about two weeks ago. One is green and happy. The other is darker brown. They are in a 55 gallon tank. The happy one eats well, but the slightly smaller one is not eating. It has only eaten a few meal worms and wax worms since we got them. I am very worried. I do not see any signs of aggression between them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Sometimes you won't notice anything but one dragon could still be easily intimidating the other. I think Cheri explained it somewhat like this. If Billy, during school lunch, sits down with a tray of food and the class bully sits across from him guess who just lost his appetite. It doesn't necessarily take aggressive action to intimidate someone.

Granted I don't know much about water dragons but I do know with other reptiles their cagemates can stress them out to the point that they get sick and eventually don't make it.

I guess I'd say you might want to think about separating them soon.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I agree that separating them might be a good idea. It could be behavioral or it could be health, either way you eliminate a potential problem by separating them: either the 'intimidation' will stop or you could stop the spread of a disease or parasite to the healthy dragon. Sometimes animals just don't do well together, for whatever reason. Give it a try.
    Also, what are the cage temps? How are you feeding them? Sometimes a more "aggressive" cage mate will attempt to hog all the prey and this may discourage the other from trying to feed.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. TammyL1000

TammyL1000 Embryo

I added a second basking area and the sad one turned green. He seems much happier. I took him out of the cage to eat and he ate well. I know that I will have to separate them if they are both male. Reptiles are taking over my house!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it!

I could have sworn I started this hobby in my apt. but at some point it's progressed to me feeling like I'm intruding in the zoo where I keep all of my belongings :mrgreen: .

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

LOL...I think we've all been there! Glad the little guy's improving. It can be hard keeping animals together. You never know how they'll react. But it sounds like you've got this situation under control now. At least they weren't being aggressive towards one another. And just think...now you have TWO cages to clean!!! ;) lol