2 questions...

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by hobotramp, Aug 25, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Is it normal for them to raise themselves up on all 4 legs as high as they can? Booly has started doing this over the last couple of days and stays in that pose for minutes at a time.:eek:
    Also, is it normal for a gravid female to become less active before she lays her egg. Hobo seems to be more likely to stay put in one spot for most of the day ( over the last 24 hours). Just want to make sure it's normal and not something else going on as well as the egg (she is bigger than she was last Saturday before laying the first egg).

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yup, males will often stand up as high as they can, basically it's to try and enforce their dominance on other tankmates. "Hey, look at me! I'm the boss of this here enclosure!". Although, sometimes the female can be the dominant individual in an enclosure - especially with brown anoles.

It's been our observation too, that females seem to slow down a little before dropping eggs. Probably just trying to reserve energy for the struggle ahead :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Camillo

Camillo New Member

Okay, Cammy is really weird, then. Earlier today, she was running around on all the leaves, being more active than I'd seen her today. And her next egg is due today. I dunno. Maybe Cammy's just weird like that :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Hobo is cycling thru very inactive to trying all kinds of acrobatics between her wood, plants, screen overhead, and the walls. I had never seen her actually cling and climb the walls before yesterday (glass). Put a small container full of damp vermiculite in with her beside her rock cave. She slept on the cave last night. She is still very round, so I'm pretty sure nothing happened last night. The first egg, she lay on top of the bed-a-beast, in the front corner of the enclosure and she was much thinner right away. I guess we'll see what happens in the next couple of days, but we're watching her very closely. (Incubator is set and vermiculite is heated to 81 degrees and just waiting for that egg)!:)