2 Red tails in Aspen CO area need homes

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by SnakeBabe, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SnakeBabe

SnakeBabe Embryo

Please contact the email at the botom if you can help.
    From our mailbox:

hello, I have two (what I was told and believe to be) Columbian Red Tails that my boyfriend bought over three years ago. They are approximately 4 years old, i'm guessing about five feet in length (one is slightly smaller than the other) with a girth of 6-8". I'm guessing here, because I haven't actually measured them. They were actually caged together when he purchased them, and we know they are usually solitary however we saw that even in the pet store they sought eachother out, intertwining, and they continue to do so today. They are constantly with eachother in their enclosure, and when we take them out to exercise they will go their separate ways but then seek eachother out fairly quickly and intertwine and move together. Quite an unusual pair. They eat only frozen rats and are very tame. I take them to the park when its warm (I live in Colorado) and in the winter they climb my stairs for exercise... at their size its a bit hard to just hold them to handle them for any useful exercise, but they are handled quite a bit just for affection and for their familiarity with us. However, my boyfriend walked out on me earlier this month. I am having to take him to court for the second half of our lease since he left me with a rent payment I can not afford. I am a single mom with two daughters. Chances are, I will be moving into a much smaller place at the end of this lease, if I even make it that long. He and I have agreed that it would be best for the snakes if I am able to find a good home for them. I told him I didn't believe he is committed to taking care of them for the next five years, let alone another 20, and we all know it is harder to find them a good home the bigger they get. I would love to keep them, and I love them very much, but I can not keep them once they get any larger than they already are. I warned him about this when he bought them; at the time we were only roommates but regardless here we are. They are in a 55gal aquarium right now with an antler they love to climb and lounge on, and are happy in their current enclosure but that won't last much longer I know. Could you please email me and let me know if you can help me find a suitable LONG TERM home for these lovely girls. I don't want to let them go to just anyone which is why I talked my ex-boyfriend into letting me try to find a better home for them since we are no longer together. I am the one who has kept track of their feeding and exercise schedules, I am the one who interacts with them and I love them very much. Thank you for your help.
    Valerie sumhonney@yahoo.com