2 story 29 gallon leo tank

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by vildotcom, Oct 9, 2007.

1. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

i realized the instability of the glass and i was asking for suggestions. i did get one when i woke up today, but its not very attractive. there are spaces in between the floor tiles and i can add support poles in certain spots. they'd have to be permanent b/c i dont want to imagine having one of those poles being knocked out accidentally. we'd have a cave-in.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

furniture in.

i've made a temporary support for my 2nd story. it so happens that when you turn one of the tiles on its edge, it fits perfectly under the 2nd layer glass. i have two tiles turned upright towards the center of the pane and that's what's keeping the glass supported. the hides up there are made of styrofoam so they are very light. i only worry about the weight of the tile and water dish. i plan to maybe switch to vinyl flooring and a smaller water dish.

p.s. i have a third hide i use as a humid. they just look ugly. if you're curious, its tubbaware with a hole in the lid + moss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lazzara8478

lazzara8478 Member

RE: furniture in.

MY only question is how are the 1rst and 2nd floor being heated?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Baker14

Baker14 Member

RE: furniture in.

and how do you get to the 1st floor. NOt sure if you already mentioned this, i might have missed it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

both stories are heated with UTHs. The first floor being heated with one right underneath the whole tank and the 2nd floor being heated with a UTH stuck between the tile and the glass floor.

you can access both floors by simply removing the screen cover. they are both side entry.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. treeafodo

treeafodo Member

i have one question. how does heat and light get through the top to the bottom? do you have a moist hide in both the upper and lower? o ya that is 2 lol=D

12. Ria

Ria Member

The humid hides and heating methods have already been mentioned, and I'm sure enough light reaches the bottom level just through the front and sides of the tank, little different to having a tank made of wood. I think this tank is much better than the other modification you did. If you want sliding doors, go with acrylic/plexiglass/perspex, then you can drill air holes into it yourself, so you can put them for the top and bottom levels and drill as many as you want. That is what I did :)

13. Ria

Ria Member

Also, if you wanted somehting different to support the upper level, you could use acrylic tube and cut it to size and silicone it to the upper level? The tube shape means it is really strong and will act like little pillars. Just a thought :) Good Luck!

14. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

brilliant ria! that's exactly what i was looking for. acrylic tubing for pillars! genius!

and i will also look into plexi sliding doors. getting a dremel tool soon with cutting blade. i just need to figure out how to make a sliding track for the doors.

and yes guys. i have moist hides. i'll show pictures if you wont take my word for it! hahaha.

both levels are heated via UTH, if you look closely you can see a cord coming from the second level.

both levels get adequate lighting from the room. i dont use a UVB or any spotlights because they're not needed (nocturnal right? or have i been misled? haha)

15. Ria

Ria Member

You're in the US and I'm in the UK, but I'm sure you'll be able to buy runners for the doors, that's what I did. You get a set for the top and the bottom, seal them in, get your plexigalss cut to size, or do it yourself and slot it in! You shouldn't have to worry about making it yourself. I got mine from ebay, or just try googling it? Just remember you want the doors to overlap, if it wasn't for my bf, I'd have forgotten about that! :oops:

As for the tubing, I'd go for something fairly wide for strength. Check ebay for that too, that's where I got all my acrylic stuff from. And don't worry, they are definitely nocturnal ;)

16. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

well i know i am about a month late on joining in on this conversation...but instead of the sliding doors you could make them like cabinet doors.

just take some acrylic/plexi glass. cut it to the size.(if the aquarium has the black thing around the top measure the outside of it. so that when you put the two pices together the whole front of the aquarium is covered.)

then silicon little pices of the tubes(like the ones mentioned for the supports) to the out side. and make brakets out of plexi with your dremmel.

silicon the bottom brackets on the far sides of the front. then put the doors in and silicon the two top brakets on.

to make sure that the leos cant get out you can put two very small screws throught both doors and put a heavy rubber band on them(make the screws look like handles on french doors)

well this is how i made my doors for my tank. i hope it works for you! :(

josh
    p.s. if it is a lil confusing sry. sometimes i try to explain it but it doesnt always comeout right...

17. vildotcom

vildotcom New Member

bah! good idea! it totally would've worked.

unfortunately i tore the tank down and currently have the 2 leos in sterlites. i just kept getting annoyed with the project. i wanted it done right and it just didn't look nice enough. the one thing that annoyed me he most was the inaccessiblity. i was handling my leos less and i didn't like that idea.

on the flip side, i am actually building the rack tonight. that'll be an even better space saver and even add enclosures for possible expansion.

thanks for the ideas. project failed.

18. leoosrul

leoosrul Member

oh...sry! i thought it looked pretty cool. but im with you on wanting to make the racks! if i had to sacrifice not holding my leo(Nanzia) so that i could have that awesome setup. i would freak out!

hey do you think you could get on the leo forum an post some pics of your lil ones?