3 chocies for a free boa on my birthday what do i pick

Discussion in 'Boas' started by noobchamowner, Jan 9, 2010.

?

what do i get you decide

1. moonglow boa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. *

sunglow boa 66% poss het for moonglow

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

snow boa

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

so my cuz is breeding his boas right now here is the link for his video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE-x70VyTY he shows his set up and all his breeders and futer projects.. what he is working on right now is a female coral albino het for snow with a male triple het for snow.. he said he should have Moonglow, Snow, Sunglow 66% het Moonglow.. i dont know what to pick lol.. i wish i could have one of each but dont have the room for 3 boas ahaha so what do i pick. if any one has pics of there moonglows, sunglows or snows please post them i would love to see them.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Thats a tough call, but your so lucky to get these options to choose from! I need a cousin like yours =P

It really comes down to your personal preference... if your into the all white then the moonglow or snow are more likely what you'll be looking into. Personally, I LOVE the Sunglows...and a het for snow to boot. The difference in coloration in the patterning with a white background to the red and brighter patterning is just beautiful, but the snows and moonglows are sick just the same.

I vote Sunglow, but all are exteremely nice animals to try and choose from =) Good luck with that pick!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

does any one have a pic of boas when there babies possibly while holding them i would like to get an idea of how small t will be when i get mine in..... by the way the due date is somtime in may so a long wait and i fell so ancy and excited im going crazy a whole four months to wait

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

All the more time to get everything set up, researched, and ready to go! I know how you feel though, sometimes a month or two wait can seem like YEARS. =)

I don't personally have pics, but if you do a google search for images generally you'll see quite a neonates...if not mostly juvenile animals. I'd just search for "Moonglow Boa" or Snow or Sunglow, etc. You may be able to find one in hand, or perhaps someone else has some personal pics of their animals. I do know that newborns are generally in the 16-18" range give or take if that helps any

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Belletair

Belletair New Member

Awesome to hear you are going to get a boa, man. They are wonderful creatures. :)

While I don't have any pics of a newborn, I took these of my newest boa at around seven months old. It's not a sunglow/moonglow/snow, but it still gives you a rough idea of what a young boa looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's not exactly a hatchling, but at least it's something.

Also, as to which boa you should get... well, as Jeff said it's really a matter of opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with any, though. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

thats a beautiful boa and thanks for the pic it gives me a good idea of what to expect.... this is my first "BIG" snake but familer with the handling acpect i love these guys and every chance i get i hold them.. i have a big cage...

here is the cage...
    http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/vision...ith-extra-vent/

i have that i kept my gecko in for awhile.. so now i am going to use it for the baby and im going to fix it up from now till i get the snake in may.. any idea of how long this cage would last..

12. Belletair

Belletair New Member

No prob for the pics, and thanks for the compliments. I'm working on getting some newer ones up. She just shed, and man... absolutely beautiful. :)

I'd say that cage would last you around 1-2 years. It really depends on the size of the snake. Once it hits 3-4 feet I find it best to put them in their "lifetime" cage. An absolute minimum for a full grown boa is 4' x 2' x 2'. Bigger is better. :)

Extending the length to five or six feet would be perfect.

Again though, depends on the boa size. I'm going on my experience with colombian red tails and true red tails that hit between 6-12 feet as adults, normally.

Also, how are you heating that Vision cage? I'm a firm believer in belly heat for all snakes, and am not a fan of using heat lamps only. They probably work fine for some, but eh. I just like my under tank heat. ;)

13. noobchamowner

noobchamowner Member

i do have lots of experience building cages so i was planing on building a 6x4x4 just wanted to know how long the cage was going to last so i knew how long i had to buld.. as for belly heat thats an easy one. im going to line the cage with tile thats like rock ( forgot the exact name) and put a nice piece under the light so it will heat the rock up and create heat for the belly.. another thing is i realy dont mind cutting up the cage to add to it.. i al ready have plans on cuting some of the bottom to add a sterlite "pond" with a filter system... i know how i will do the cuts but dont knw how i will add the filter system yet still thinking on that one hahaha