3 Foot Black and White Tegu Leash Training?

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Nemesis, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Embryo

Ok,

New user here this is my first post. I am huge Herp person. Mostly Geckos and Frogs but I decided to take on something bigger recently. I have purchased a 2 year old Black and White Argentinian Tegu who is approx 3 feet in length. The store i got him from a week ago is a specialty store and probably one of only 3 in Tennessee, and so far this Tegu like they said is very well natured and he loves to be petted and rubbed. They said the previous owner had to move and couldnt take him with them. So I have the Tegu and purchased an 8 foot long by 3 foot wide by 2 foot tall tank. All glass very well built and plenty of room for the big guy. His name is Goliath I decided I liked it plus he is used to it. He comes when called its great! When i asked the pet store if he could be walked on a leash they said they werent sure if the previous owner had him on one or not.

So I have a couple questions.
    Is there a way i can tell if he is leash trained?
    If he is what kind of leash would hold this size reptile? Is there a specialty type harness you can get for Tegus? I ask this because I have other reptiles| a Bearded Dragon and a Uromastyx that both are leash trained and have specialty leashes for them.
    If he is not leash trained, is it too late to train him?

Thank you for your time,
    Nemesis