3 yr. green iguana turning orange

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Ruba_Dub, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ruba_Dub

Ruba_Dub Embryo

I'm not sure if this is suppose to happen but my green iguana has been changing into a bright orange around his eyes down his sides and on his duflap. I really dont understand way there has been no changes in his diet hes been getting his calcium, its just a starnge happening that just occured

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. denise38

denise38 New Member

I know you stated "he".....
    for sure right. ?

I believe that females turn that sorta color when they are gravid.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brina6

brina6 New Member

my iggy is about ummm maybe 6 months (had s/he for 4 months) itll turn to a blue color around its eyes and mouth.. well the facial area and itll get stripes on its back when he gets pissed off.... its kinda funny i think but i dunno y s/he changes color and also s/hell be a dark green and ill give it a bath and itll turn to this bright green that is real pretty again dunno y tho

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ruba_Dub

Ruba_Dub Embryo

I'm definatly sure its a he, maybe its possable that he just changes color due to his mood or something? cuz hes been madder then usual *ponders* cuz not long ago I just got a baby iguana but they're in separate cages but they can see each other it wasn't until then when i started to "really" notice the color changes, cuz before it was just a tint but not its extremely obviuos since the little one came :cry: but idk ammon-ra (3 yr) seems more curiuos than mad at the little one, he watches him like all the rest of the animals :?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mohikan22

mohikan22 New Member

breeding season.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ruba_Dub

Ruba_Dub Embryo

aw i see, thanks lotsa, I was begining to think it was something really seriuos *nervous laugh*

12. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

CONGRATULATIONS... Its a boy! When male igs sexually mature they go into whats called "a rut" and turn orange. Nothing to worry about, sweetie. Also, orange veggies and fruits will bring out more orange pigmentation in thier skins. At this point you need to mind the colors you wear around him....greens, oranges, and reds will provoke attitude in him during a rut. No Worries! Lisa

13. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

Oh yeah.........
    ALSO
    at this point your mature male may try to dominate or kill the baby.....keep them very seperate!
    Lisa