4" turtles

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by MJL201, Jul 29, 2005.

1. MJL201

MJL201 Embryo

I heard somewhere that selling turtles under 4" is illegal in the USA. Is that true?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

i've heard that as well.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Tink

Tink Embryo

In Canada, at least the city I live in, we can't have turtles that are under 5" I believe. Also the turtles have to be bred in our city, no import/exports.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Turtles under 4 inches are only sold to educational and research institutions. Some states require native species (even if you didn't purchase them in the state or if they are captive bred) to be registered and/or PIT tagged. But rules very from state to state.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. snake_bint

snake_bint New Member

Well, recently in the South I noticed a resurgence of people selling silver dollar size RES. My friend found the legal code that states that it's still illegal, at least in GA, to sell these tiny babies. However, if you report these people, the baby turtles are confiscated & destroyed (humanely). So is it worth it to report these people, who obviously don't care about the animals & only want to make a fast buck? They misinform their potential customers, telling them that these tiny sliders will only double in size & will live comfortably in 10-15 gallon tanks for the rest of their lives. Are these little guys better off dead than they are to die slowly as an unwanted impulse buy or dumped into the nearest stream?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BigCT

BigCT New Member

Yes and no, It is illegal in the United States to sale Red Ear Sliders that are less than 4" in length. This is covered under the FDA. The reasoning is that when they are that small there is a chance a child may put it into there mouth and get salmonella poisoning.

There is a loop hole for selling them for research or educational purposes. Some stores, not many, but some stores will have you sign a form stating you are buying it for education purposes, or they'll give you the turtle free for buying a turtle bowl.

If there is a pet shop in you area selling them you should report them because they are near as bad as puppy mills. Better to not give them money or the chance to let one suffer in a 10 gallon tank or turtle bowl.

12. BigCT

BigCT New Member

Also, From what I've read (I own 2 RES's) if they do get busted, they usually get to keep the turtles and sell them once they are 4" +, No Euthinization that I've heard of. It's only illegal to sell them not own them. Also Biochic is right about registration and checking local laws. In Oregon, for example, it is illegal to own and sale Red Ear Sliders. They do not want them introduced into the native population. They are trying to save the Western Pond Turtle.

13. big_ben_134

big_ben_134 Embryo

in aus i have a trio of saw shell turtles all 1 inch long

14. blackbird

blackbird Embryo

CHECK WITH YOUR STATE DEP. OF WILDLIFE CON. for THE laws in your state.

15. big_ben_134

big_ben_134 Embryo

they are licensed in aus every reptile has to be licensed and no exotices