5 gallon for something

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by trikemaster810, May 7, 2005.

1. trikemaster810

trikemaster810 Embryo

I have an empty 5 gallon(hex), i want something other than fish if possible. what would be able to fit for its entire life, i was thinking a house gecko? if only fish fit, what would be a nice fish for it thanks in advanced

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. outcold720

outcold720 Member

If you like frogs and want to spend the money one dart frog or a mantella will be able to live in a five gallon its whole life dart frogs and mantellas are fairly easy to take care of there are a lot of sites about them just do a google search

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

my sister has keep a red eye tree frog in one for about 2 months

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. liza714

liza714 Member

Didnt you ask this exact questions like a month ago? Anyways even little lizards need more than 5 Gals. Frogs maybe small but even they would be cramped in a 5gl tank. Try a betta fish or get a bigger tank.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. garybingham

garybingham Member

put a praying mantis in it. the mantis can live its full life in that tank and are prity to look at and easy to keep

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Wisdom16

Wisdom16 New Member

White Cloud Minnows or Rosy Red minnows make great fish for a 5 gallon. A dwarf clawed frog will work too. I'd personally go with a dwarf clawed frog and 4-6 feeder guppies. They may be feeders, but when they have babies you have free food for the frog.

12. garybingham

garybingham Member

theguppies bread worse than mice and rabbits

13. liza714

liza714 Member

Where can you buy a praying mantis? Here in NJ they are considered a threatened species and are not only illegal to keep as a pet they are illegal to squash. My daughter found a late mantis tent in our bushes and hatched them inside a cricket keeper over the winter and let them go in our yard. Now we are up to our butts in manti, but our veggies are doing great.

14. garybingham

garybingham Member

i live inthe uk and there are no laws on keeping a praying mantis as all are captive breed

15. juice

juice Member

If I were you, I'd go and look for Viper Gecko's...the top out @ about 3.5" and well...you'ld be able to house one in there for sure. Perhaps even 2??? Plus, they're pretty wicked looking!

16. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

I'd go with the african dwarf frogs...they're really fun to watch and easy to take care of, and they'd prolly be happy in a 5 gal tank

17. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

Try an anole dude! LOL
    If it dies there like 4 bucks.

18. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

Try an anole dude! LOL
    If it dies there like 4 bucks.

19. Lil_Jo

Lil_Jo Member

so pick an anole cuz its 4 bucks? not a good idea in my eyes? I think a 5 gallon tank is MUCH too small.
    Depending where you are, as some said a preying mantis, i'm in the uk & i have had 2 of these, they are great fun as pets, fantastic to watch while feeding! Very easy to look after.
    If not, why not just get a fish or something? or stick insects?

20. amigita

amigita New Member

I really don't like your attitude towards anoles, "BoidMasta." A 5 gallon tank is WAY to small for an anole. And just because the lizard is 4 bucks, that doesn't mean the rest of the equipment is cheap. I'd go for a praying mantis. They're cool looking and really easy to care for. Stick insects are pretty sweet too.

21. trikemaster810

trikemaster810 Embryo

Any other fish, that was a while ago, lol, ive kinda got back into fish, i might look into the matis, sounds like an unusual thing to keep

22. zemane

zemane New Member

A good pet to keep in a 5g is a scorpion gecko.they reach 3" and are okay on a tank that size,altouhg they prefer a 10g.they eat crix and jump on the glass when they want to be handled or fed!!!males have spikes on their tails and females have smaller spikes.they're a clear brown colour with stripes(males).

23. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

wow a scorpion gecko...sounds interesting :) where can you find them?

24. trikemaster810

trikemaster810 Embryo

yea, it does sound awesome, are they common?

25. mop

mop Embryo

Salamanders, Frogs, Some types of Turtles, small snakes, anoles, insects, newts, House Geckos, Viper geckos, Skinks.