50/50 Water land

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by dumerillis_1986, Jul 1, 2007.

1. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Are there any turtles that are half and half land/water?? i know a lot of turtles need some land basking spots but is there any species that is half and half?

Just curious

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TimothyTodd

TimothyTodd Member

I have no idea. I do know that water turtles like RES need to be on land more than tortoises need to be in water. Good question though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

anyone??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Muds, musks, and I think woods, spotted, blandings etc... the ones that are illegal to keep in some states. The other person is correct though, even an aquatic turtle like a RES would be happy with a nice land area.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. squirts

squirts New Member

I noticed my RES, Leonardo, LOVES to climb up onto his new turtle dock and bask under the lamp. I use to keep a large cinder block in the tank which peaked just above the water line that he used, but I noticed without a ramp or ledge it was pretty difficult for him to haul himself up onto it. I bought a floating turtle dock which uses suction cups to attach to the side of the tank and it worked OK, but I then noticed that the dock would lean (off level) when he basked. I solved the leaning problem by finding a half-block and placing that under the dock. Now, Leo has a nice level basking area AND an easy to climb ramp to help haul himself out of the water. =) Leo definitely enjoys his out-of-water time and gets plenty of warmth and UVB in the process.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

The South American Wood Turtle (Rhinoclemmys punctularia) is a good choice. They will spend time soaking in the water portion of their enclosure. The water side can be provided with a shallow tub, with the substrate coming right up to the lip of the tub.

Here is a good page about them.
    http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-sawood.htm

12. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

Yeah, my RES francois LOVES to roam around....the only time he goes in the water is to poop or eat really...he gets free roam of my whole apartment (yes, believe me in order for him to do this, it takes over 2 hours cleaning a day...I make sure nothing is on the ground, and mop with vinegar every night) and has a big tub he climbs for food or pooping...that is while i am not home...when i am home, he goes in his tank, and even then, he spends most of his time basking!

13. sweet_sorrow123

sweet_sorrow123 Member

Try a wood turtle, they are really smart.

Or try a box turt, they need nice large soaking dishes and you can plant up the setup nice. A thre toed can do well in a 2'x6' setup. A wood you'd probably want something nice and big outdoors with a shallow largeish pond.

14. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Because of how much space they need and to prevent a lot of health problems, box turtles do much better outside too.

In fact, I honestly believe if any turtle is healthy enough and the area is not too inhospitable, that they should be outside for at least as much time as possible. :(

15. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

Nothing beats natural sunlight, and since its so important to turtles, they should be exposed to natural sunlight as much as possible.

16. Buslady

Buslady Embryo

Ornate woodies do well in small waterland tubs, it gives them their water they can cruise in and enough land to dig and hide. I am a huge fan of Turtlin' Pete's tubs and reccomend these to anybody who are looking for something for their turtles and the Land version for torts or boxies