50 gal for uro?

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Advent, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Advent

Advent Member

Is that big enough? I was thinking of putting in a uro when my beardie outgrows his 50.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Thats perfect. It also depends on the species, but I believe most if not all of the species will easily fit into a 50 gallon.

Do you know what kind of Uro you would be interested in getting? I persoanlly like the ornates and mali's the best.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Advent

Advent Member

Ornate(companionable) or Saharan(awesome color), most likely but i'll probly end up with a mali if I get a uro because of price. But I'm not sure. I'm low on money and all. I was thinking about getting one around my birthday. ( 3 months ) That way I'll have time to work off my debt for my beardie, and raise enough for a nice Uro. My dad likes these too so thats a plus.

As you know I also want a crestie, so it's a crestie or a uro. I don't have the money or time for both.

I'm almost 14, and I have school, homework, a beardie, 2 cockatiels, and a FW fishtank up with my dad to take care of. And I want a ferret and a uro or crestie.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Both are great, just keep doing research and in the end decide which ine you like more. If I could I would get a ornate (that aweseom blue/green color rocls!) but they cost a ton! They almost completely veggetarians, so thats a plus. And sociable. So its up to you in the end. Both are great, i really love my crestie though... What a tough desision!

I just turned 14 three days ago!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Advent

Advent Member

I kind-of want both lol. I don't know what I'm going to get. The uro will have to wait until my 6 month beardie outgrows his 50 gallon, which really could be never. But when I earn some money back, then maybe I could earn enough for both, but I also want a ferret. I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's time for college lol.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

lol I know what you mean. It was hard for me too, it really works out easier if you are able to get to different places and actually watch and handle the lizard or animal. Whichever one seems to appeal to you most, go for it!

The crestie is active at night, so that is good if you have school until later in the day, however the Uro will eat very cheap and the same kind of foods your beardie wil eat (as in salad). Ferrets are cool, we watched one once. His name was scooter, I loved him, but he required a lot of attention. If your not home a lot of the day and you dont have the time or space for a ferret, dont get one. Very hard choices! What a mess you've gotten yourself into!

12. Advent

Advent Member

I know lol. I get home around 4 and take my beardie out for a half an hour, then do my homework with my birds. I don't think I'd have enough time to play with a ferret on weekdays, maybe on weekends though. I might get 2, but that equals more money. It's hard to pick, as you've said. But going and seeing the animals beforehand helps a bunch. I'm going to refill on crickets at the pet shop tommorow so i'll check out ferrets there. I don't think they have cresteds there, but they do have mali uro's. I would also be interested in a corn snake but that's out of the picture because my mom almost feints every time she sees a snake. I think a gecko would be the last thing I get, to narrow it down a bit, because i really like pets you can interact with. The geckos sound really cool though, and it would be easy, so I really don't know about that one.

Back to the accual uro forum topic.

The 50 long my beardie is in right now will do for the uro? I'll fix that to be appropriate for him when i get my beardie enclosure built. So that will be in like 3 months. By then I'll have enough money for a uro if I don't get ferrets before that lol.

13. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Interacting is big with me too, if your more interested in that than your order of options would be (from more social to less)
    -Ferret
    -Uro
    -Crestie

Ferrets need time to play, a lot. I think the rule is 2 hours a day (could be wrong though). And Uros are prolly as tame as beardies if not a tiny bit more tmae (depending on species) and cresties you can handle but its not actually interacting as much if you know what I mean.

And yes the 50 gallon should fit, but it depends on the species.An ornate or mali I believe would fit in that. Dunno about Saharan, maybe ask in the Uro forum at http://kingsnake.com . There are more owners there that could help you out witht he uros.

14. Advent

Advent Member

I went to the pet store today, and i think i have it pretty much figured out :). The uros were really cool, the ferrets were hilarious, but there were no cresties .
    I'm out of debt as of today. I did a bunch of yard work and stuff.

-Adopt a ferret and buy it a nice cage with the money i earn in the mean time.
    -When my birthday comes around, ask for supplys for a beardie tank from my grandparents, and use the money from my parents to get a uro. And use my old beardie cage for the uro.

I'm really not sure about cresties. I might be more interested later, but i don't know.

I'll think of more later.

15. MansonNails

MansonNails Embryo

Ferrets are awesome pets.... however, it is recommended that they receive at least 4 hours of excersize and quality interaction EVERY SINGLE DAY. This means letting them out of the cage for this excersize and it also involves "ferret-proofing" your home to prevent them from injuring themselves or from escaping altogether. Ferrets are actually a huge responsibility and are also very costly. Not only are they expensive to purchase initially, but there is an 80% chance that your ferret will get cancer at least once in its lifetime. Because of that high risk of developing cancer, it is estimated that you should set aside at least $1,000 to cover the veterinary costs for such an emergency. Plus there's the fact that you have to take your ferret to the vet every year for vaccinations (every 6 months if the ferret is elderly). Ferrets only live up to 5 to 7 years, so be prepared to dish out a lot of money on one.... just imagine the costs if you are going to buy two of them!!

I'd recommend doing a LOT more research on ferrets before making the commitment to own one.

16. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

www.zoologicalimports.com is a very reptuable place located in miami, and the have some nice uros there for really good prices.

17. Advent

Advent Member

Thanks for resurrecting this KliK, I'm looking for some other options for my tank if monitors prove to be too high maintenance. I'm thinking about getting a CB Mali, or ornate if I can find a CB for a good price.

The main thing I'm worried about is time. I'll have plenty of time this summer, but next year I'll be going to a highschool 45 minutes away. So I won't have much time in the mornings. I'm thinking Uro's would fit good with my schedual though, I currently make a few days worth of salad at a time for my dragon, so I'll just make two- few days worth of salad, and then when I bring the crickets up, I'll give some to my mali every few days.

What do you guys think?