6 mo old beardie with hook worms...need advice asap!!! Thank

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bethb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello Beth ^_^ ,

Great pics....I am so glad he is starting to do better & feel better. He is trying to bite you & run a way from you now? Did he used to bite you before he got sick? He is probobly tired of having stuff crammed down him & that nasty medicine he has to take! :D
    Poor baby, maybe he wont have to take anymore of it?
    I am so so glad he is doing so much better now, just in time for your birthday too!!
    What a birthdday present for you, huh?
    Keep me posted.

Tracie

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bethb

bethb Member

RE: Hello

Tracie...yes he did bite me before and always ran away when I tried to get him out of his tank...so its his old behavior that is coming back!!! Yayyyyyy!!!!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Drache613

Hello

Hey Beth,

I thought I would post here & I sent you a PM also. I wonder why he would try to bite you?? Keep working with him, & eventually I think he will probobly stop trying to bite you. Maybe he wasn't handled very well in the petstore perhaps.
    I am so so happy that he is doing so much better now!! Keep up the awesome work with him, it will be way worth it!!
    Keep me posted on his progress, for sure. :p

Tracie

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bethb

bethb Member

I handle him every day...so Im hoping one day...he will love me!! lol And as of tonight he is doing great!! :p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth :D

Hey that is great Turk is doing so much better! He is getting feisty again, so watch your fingers... :)
    Eventually he wont want to bite you, just keep at it, keep handling him.
    Ours never did try to bite me once? I don't know why?? Of course, he has never been sick though, fortunately.
    Talk soon.
    Tracie

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bethb

bethb Member

Well today Turk is still good...I think...he has slept all day...but he is also shedding..he cant catch a break!!! Im gonna bathe him..hopefully that will wake him up some and try to get him to eat...but other than that...I think hes good! :)

12. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

Oh, that poor boy, Turk! He is shedding after all of this? I bet he gained weight with all of that food you were giving to him! They can gain really good weight off of babyfood, really. The chicken is an excellent source of protein for them. Have you weighed him lately?
    I hope the bath perks him up some. At least he is getting well now. I hope he is growing, & shedding is a great sign after everything he has been through lately!! :)
    Talk to you later,
    Tracie

13. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie...I was hoping shedding was a good sign....cause the bath really didnt perk him up much...Im assuming its the shedding? I think I remember him being really tired last time..but Im not sure of his REAL behavior since he was probably sick the whole 2 months ive had him....well we will see what tonight and tomorrow bring! He goes back to the vet on wed....so I feel good about that! :) Ya think he can get this sleepy from shedding? He didnt eat much either...one crix and then he just watched the rest as he closed his eyes....I have read some about them not eating and being sleepy before and during shedding....guess Im just ultra sensitive!! Oh and I dont have a scale to weigh him at home....I will wait until the vet....I have to get one of those!!

14. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,
    Yeah, little Turk is more than likely worn out with everything & now he is shedding. Poor baby, well, it is only 2 more days until the vets so I think he will be fine.
    They tend not to be real interested in food during the shedding, plus, he is probobly growing so that will make him more sleepy too.
    Maybe you could get a digital scale so you can keep track of his weight. That would help you out so you can make sure he doesn't lose too much weight.
    Keep me posted on your sweet little boy!
    Talk to you later,
    Tracie

15. bethb

bethb Member

Took Turk back to the vet today for a follow up...his blood came back showing he has some kind of infection also....sent home with injectable antibiotics...he gained 2 grams....he still sits under the heat lights..not moving much :lol: Vet says we have plenty of time till we have to think of whether to put him down...which would be very painful! Im still feeding him baby food and pedialyte...thats how he gained the weight! so for now I just give him meds and substanance and hope for the best....will let you all know ;)

16. Drache613

Hey

Hello Beth,

Man, poor little Turk can't catch a break, can he? I sent you a PM too.
    Just keep up with the babyfood & pedialyte & meds. That is really all you can do, & hope that he snaps out of it. Sometimes, unfortunately, genetics play a huge part in their health too. There is so much inbreeding here in the US that it lowers their immune system functions as well.

Talk to you soon.
    Tracie

17. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

RE: Hey

Hi Beth,

I just was lokoing at this forum and the pics - what type of basking bulb do you have? From your first pic it looks like you have a red light. This needs to be changed ASAP (If you haven't already - my apologies if you have!), as dragons need bright white light. The red bulb in itself could be causing a ton of the lethargy (as well as the meds for the hookworms). Trash the red bulb immediately - get a regular 60 or 100 watt house bulb (not frosted) and within a day or two you'll probably see an improvement in his running around.

18. bethb

bethb Member

thanks daggerlover for the input....I did learn abou the red light a few days ago and he now has 2 100 watts bulbs that he has been basking under(seems thats what I need to keep the temp up)....he hasnt changed at all :D that would have been great if that were the fix though....thanks again....suggestions are always welcomed...Im trying everything I can for this guy....including draining my bank account about 500 bucks so far...lol

19. gazza

gazza Member

sorry to hear turk has an infection too :D i know what you mean about vet bills it has cost us about the same for dracul altho if he gets better it will be money well spent,good luck

Gaz

20. bethb

bethb Member

thanks gazza! I just hope this vet knows what shes doing!!! My hubby started to give me some trouble last night about the vet bills ( I have a daughter starting college in 2 weeks!!)...and the tears started flowing....I said I know but I dont know what else to do!! I cant just watch him die and not do anything! He eased up after the tears! lmao...I hope dracul gets better too...maybe we should put them in the same sick bed...lol

21. gazza

gazza Member

yeah we sure should lol we have had same discussions about vets but as you say we just can't sit and watch him die, dracul still isn't eating alone were having to feed him, he isn't even going to his basking area we have to put him on it to get him to bask, good luck to your daughter and college hope it goes ok

Gaz