A CWD can shred your face???

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by reptilerocker, Sep 29, 2006.

1. reptilerocker

reptilerocker New Member

I wanna get a CWD,but I keep hearing people saying that a CWD is capable of shredding my face.Is that true?Besides that,how many crickets does a CWD eat at one time,and how often?Thanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Well, I've definately never heard THAT one lol. My guys like to chill on my head while I clean the tanks, or let them roam - my guys are really pretty sweet! And when younger, they can go through quite alot (not as much as a bearded) but still like 40 ish crickets, but I also give them, worms, roaches & pinkies (one large enough).

I think that anything is capable of attacking if scared or hurt...but other than that...they're nice guys!

~Michelle

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cwddude

cwddude New Member

Face shredding has been confirmed. my male CWD jumped off my arm onto the couch. Coincidently, my friends face is what he landed on. He got scarred and went to run, shredding his face in the process.

Otherwise, I haven't had my face shredded LOL

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. xTBx

xTBx New Member

They can but it's unlikely. The worst that i've had was some scratches on my arms, and even those were nothing to go crying about.

As for the feeding, it really depends on how old it is and its personality. My sub adult female eats every other day and she'll eat until i stop feeding her, she's very well fed 20 crickets and about 15 king mealworms. My other dragon of similar age eats maybe 15 large cricks or mealworms. My juvie eats almost every day and he'll eat a good 10-15. When i first got my little guy i was feeding him twice, sometimes three times, a day. And then he ate 5-8 crickets.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. sdellin

sdellin New Member

Any lizard with claws could scratch your skin, but you can keep the claws clipped. It's not hard to do once you learn how.

As for feeding, they eat crickets, meal worms, frozen thawed nice, hopefully some vegetables when they get older and the amount depends on how old they are. When I got mine, I just fed then as much as they would eat. I would usually buy about 25 crickets at a time, put them in a 10-gallon aquarium and put the dragon in there. When the dragon stopped eating, I would put him back in his own cage. Then add a little lettuce and a water-moistened piece of cotton (sitting in a lid or something) for the crickets to keep them alive for the next feeding. When my dragons were about four inches (not including tail) I started giving them thawed, frozen pinkie mice, now they are on fuzzy miced. When younger, I gave them mini meal worms as well as the crickets, but those you can just put into a food dish in the dragon's cage. Coat them with a little calcium powder. I think I started with 10 a day and if they didn't eat all of them, it would just be part of the next days meal. They got up to about 25 mealies a day. Now that they are bigger, I use the giant meal worms (not the super ones, those bite back!). I give them about 10 a day now and a fuzzy mouse every other day. They are tropical lizards, so they require a humid environment, which requires a little work, so do your homework, but it's not hard to do once you get a good setup.