A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by PFratt, Nov 5, 2009.

1. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Alright guys, as the title says I have a few questions about my new BP here they are:

1) I have my ball on newspaper right now since I very recently got her and I want to monitor her but lately she has been going underneath the newspaper to hide. She has two shelters (one on each side). Is this normal and is it going to be a problem when I put in different substrate?

2) When I handle her, there are a few places that that she feels rough. I assume that she is going into shed soon as her belly is a little pinkish in some places. Is she going into shed or is this something else? Also, how pink do their bellies get when they start going into shed?

Thats all for now, any help would be much appreciated

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

If you're still looking here to see if this gets answered...

No, it won't be an issue with a new substrate. She is burrowing now because I imagine she feels safest all snug in the newspaper, but if she can't burrow in whatever you switch, she'll just use the hides then.

Not sure about the roughness but a pink belly, as it seems you know, means a shed is on the way. In my experience (I've got 3 BPs) these guys get ridiculously pink at some points in the shed cycle, like when they are actually blue, especially, and other times it is barely noticable. It will change with how close they are to shedding, and I think it starts light, gets very pink, then lightens up again right before the shed.

Has she shed in the 2 weeks since you posted these questions?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. PFratt

PFratt Embryo

Thanks for the reply and yes she has shed since I posted this and everything went well. Also, I haven't put the substrate in yet (I'll probably put it in tomorrow as I just fed her yesterday) but she seems to be using her hides a lot more so at least I know she feels comfortable in them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Good to hear, and best of luck with the new substrate.