A few questions

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by JJ., May 14, 2013.

1. JJ.

JJ. New Member

Just a couple of questions about my beardie.
    he always has Collard greens yam and Raspberries available to him (He loves the raspberries he will pick them out of the pile and jump on my arm to get to them)

1. He will eat over 100 crickets a day if i let him is this normal.

2.He always sits on his rock with his tail pointing a werid way and now when he is standing straight it points off a little i'll get a picture soon but just a bit worried about that

Thanks guys that is all. :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

The love for raspberries is pretty typical, my guy will pick them out of the salad first before feeding on anything else ; ) . Don't go overboard with em' though... they should be regarded as a supplemental treat with the main dietary focus being on the greenery.

1) Perfectly normal, particularly during growth spurts. Just make sure the insects are appropriately sized (length of insect no greater than the distance between the dragon's eyes) and allow him to eat as much as he'd like.

2) A picture will be useful - but it probably isn't anything to be too concerned about. Make sure you are supplementing with calcium and have a quality UVB producing bulb in there to ensure it isn't MBD related, but most beardies have a little upward angle to their tail when posed. If its angled, it could also be a result from previous injury by a cagemate when younger or something similar... we'll see what the photo looks like = )

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh no :( Can he bend it back at all or is it always like that? If he can't ever bend it back it's probably broken from a young age, he should be fine though :) Obviously it didn't hurt his growth at all!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JJ.

JJ. New Member

He can move his tail normally and everything and still holds it up in the air like in my picture

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Can he unbend it though?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey JJ,

Has he had this kink the entire time you've owned him or is this something that started to appear recently?

It could be a result of a number of things... sometimes kinks form while developing in the egg for a number of reasons (genetic predisposition, temperature spikes during incubation, etc). Similarly, it could result from damage from a cagemate/clutchmate that the beardie was previously housed with. It may even be an injury from something like a fall, calcium deficiency, or having screen lid closed on the tail... be it recent injury or a result of previous owner husbandry.

If he's had it most of the time you've had him, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if it doesn't appear to cause him harm and if he is otherwise behaving normally [eating 100+ crickets a day is a good sign ; ) ].

If its a recent problem that you've noticed develop, think if there are any possible ways he could have been injured by accident. Also, evaluate your husbandry and ensure you are providing the proper UVB producing bulb and a good supplement regiment of calcium/D3/multivitamin. If you could provide us with some additional insight on this husbandry information we can at least try to rule that out.

12. JJ.

JJ. New Member

he has had it for a while he can unbend his tail and hold it strait if that's what your asking he just rests like that.I calcium his food and he dose already have a UVB light so i don't think that is the problem.
    Just for reference the exact type of calcium i use is exoterra Calcium+D3