A list of currently banned reptiles in NYS

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by TáriStar, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

Regulated Reptiles in New York State

As of March 15, 2005 New York State increased the list of banned species that private owners are allowed to posess without special permits. Listed below are the current list of regulated animals.

* Snakes
    o All venomous species as determined by the DEC
    o Burmese Python (Python m. bivittatus)
    o Reticulated Python (Python reticulatus)
    o African Rock Python (Python sabae)
    o Green Anaconda (Eunectes maurinus)
    o Yellow Anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
    o Australian Amethystine Python (Morelia amethistina and Morelia kinghorni)
    o Indian Python (Python molurus)
    * Lizards
    o All venomous species as determined by the DEC
    o Asiatic (water) Monitor (Varanus salvator)
    o Nile Monitor (Varanus nilocitus)
    o White Throat Monitor (Varanus albigularis)
    o Black Throat Monitor (Varanus albigularis ionides)
    o Crocodile Monitor (Varanus salvadori)
    o Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodensis)
    * Crocodilians
    o All species

In addition to the above listed species, many species of native New York State herps and similar species require special permits to posess as well (e.g. box turtles of the genus Terrepene). This list consists of the animals considered "dangerous" by the New York State Legistature.

Anyone who owned any of these animals before January 1, 2005 can to apply for a "grandfather" license. You must have proof that the animal was purchased before January 1, 2005. The law allows DEC to charge up to $170 per animal every 2 years.

You will not be allowed to display them in public or teach with them without a reptile educator's license. At the momment there is no criteria established that will be used to decide who is a an educator that qualifies for this license. A four-hour course will need to be attended before you can qualify, but there is no information on who will teach it. We don't know how this law will affect animal educators from other states who enter the state to perform animal presentations.

For more information on how to obtain permits for these animals please contact the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation at the address below:

Special Licenses Unit
    NYSDEC
    625 Broadway
    Albany, NY 12233-4752
    (518)402-8985

The DEC is not actively searching for these banned animals. The last thing the overworked and understaffed DEC needs is another law to enforce, however law enforcement officers in New York State will be required to enforce the law if a complaint is filed. Complaints will most likely be filed as a result of a bite, a domestic dispute or a flagrant violation.

((Taken from the www.wnyherp.org website))

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Thats way to much 170 every 2 weeks. Thats nasty i can understand Venimous but things like Yellow Condas if handled responseable i think are ok. Monitors are great i want one they should't be banned.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

It says every two years.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

oh woops

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Many of the species that were banned, I totally agree with. Yes, they can be kept safely if you know what you are doing, but with pet stores and reptile shows selling all kinds of animals to anyone with the money, too many of them are being neglected, abused, and killed my lack of knowledge. And too many people can get hurt by that same ignorance. I think it looks like they were very specific about what animals they banned and did their homework, unlike some cities that are just blatantly banning all reptiles but allow people to keep dogs that are public threats and have been labeled by the courts as vicious, but give them back to the owners anyways. What's the point? At least they didn't ban silly things like corn snakes and geckos. I'd say they put some thought into what they banned and why.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. asokolik

asokolik Embryo

Re: RE: A list of currently banned reptiles in NYS

That's pretty much the feeling of most of us who worked and commented on this legislation. When the legislature first tried to introduce this bill they were going to pretty much ban everything. The original draft had wording that would of made any exotic pet illeagal to own. Our group, as well as a few others, worked with our representives to at least draft something that would hopefully not affect a majority of responsible herp owners out there. Since this bill was going to get passed with or without us, we decided to try and make it as intelligent as possible.

The problem is, as it always will be, is that it only really hurts the responsable owners out there. The irresponsable people will still get dangerous animals whether they are legal or not and they will still get hurt or hurt others with them. It's very easy to go to an out-of-state show and buy whatever you want and bring it back home.

There is also no real enforcement of this law either. The DEC has no provisions set up for the training class that is mentioned in the law or has the staff to effectively enforce it.

12. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

RE: Re: RE: A list of currently banned reptiles in NYS

I agree with them all, Especially the Komoto *laugh*, "What happened to Lulu?" You see the Komoto with a dog in his mouth. Or, "Gosh, I lost the Reticulated Python in the hotel". A couple comes in and its crawling in the bathroom. Funny Stuff.

13. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

I understand the banning of those animals. But animals shoudn't have to be banned. People need to know what they are getting into, when they aquire an animal, such as a large constrictor. Like Biochic said, so many burms and retics and other animals are being neglected and ending up in a shelter. After the snakes reach 10 feet or so, people just don't want to deal with them anymore. The animals listed are there because they need special requirments and/or precautions. Some need a large enclosure, some are expensive to feed. And some are just too dangerous to be left in the hands of anyone with the money.

There should be restrictions, now, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be neccessary. People just need to know the dangers, and requirments of the animal they are getting. People shouldn't get animals because they are 'cool' or 'awesome', they need to really care and respect the animal. Atleast enough to give the animal proper care.

That's just my $.96 :D

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

But that's the thing, most people just go and get animals on impulse buys. they dont research the animal prior to the minute they see it, and once they see it they "need" to get it. I am pretty upset that you can no longer get the permits to own the animals, but on the otherside I'm glad that they are banned because from being a New Yorker myself, we are HIGHLY notorious for getting something just to say we have it and then we will neglect it once the novelty of it dies out. I'm not saying all of us are like that, but a good majority are.

15. TáriStar

TáriStar Well-Known Member

^ ::nodds head and totaly agrees::

Like the evil cat lady around the block from me... Steals peoples cats if they are pretty enough.

16. Malice9610

Malice9610 New Member

Certain animals, like Komodos and Gila's or any poisonous snake ,i would completely agree with, should not be owned by private parties.

However, some animals that are not on that list, SHOULD be....

I see no reference to Emerald Tree Boas, or any boa for that matter wich are a LOT meaner and unpredicable then most pythons. they may not get as large as some pythons, but there still a risk to small children and animals.

17. flyin_lizard

flyin_lizard Embryo

Good ole NY ,,you need a cert. to teach using some herps or animals but, at present you can t get one......go figure