A little off topic - Stray Kitten needs loving home in NE PA

Discussion in 'Animal Adoptions' started by shortygirl, May 29, 2006.

1. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

A sweet faced calico cat wandered out of the woods by our house the other day, skinny as could be, poor thing. We fed her, gave her a box & blanket to sleep in, but we have way to many animals to keep her!

If someone in the Northeast PA area is looking for a kitten (she's approx 6-7 months old), this is your girl. She's small but definately friendly, gets along with dogs & other animals. Please message me if you are local & interested in helping her out! I can send pics!

Thanks!!!

~Michelle

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bodie

Bodie New Member

RE: A little off topic - Stray Kitten needs loving home in N

Unfortunately I am already fostering more cats than I can handle!

word of advice from an ex-animal rescuer:
    do NOT everrrrrrr give animals away for free. There are a lot of bad stories I could tell you about free animals, and im sure you dont want to hear them.
    So:
    1) always check the person's veterinarian before giving the animal to that person. Ask the vet if they are good pet parents, etc.
    2) get a written contract saying that they have to take it to the vet when it needs to go and etc. And also saying that if they cant keep it to give it back to you (instead of euthanizing it) and
    3)always keep in contact. Ask them to send pics through email now and then just to make sure shes ok!

Hope that helps, like I said, Ive heard alot of horrid stories from "free to good home" cases.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shortygirl

I know, that's why I would prefer to deal with someone local, so that I could interview them first & check up if need be. I wouldn't "sell" her, as she's not even mine, but I think at this point, I may just keep her, she's so sweet & gets along with everyone else(everyone being 3 dog & 4 other cats, plus 3 BD's & a water dragon...!!).

I would hope that noone on here would abuse an animal...but I know it happens. Don't worry, if I can't find her a good home, she'll stay with me.

~Michelle

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

Bodie, this section of the forum is FOR free adoptions, so no need to rag on shortygirl.

Have you posted her on any bulletin boards?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bodie

Bodie New Member

sorry, im not ragging on her. Im just concerned for her animal as much as she is.

Its a sad truth that there are bad people out there who take advantage of free animals and I was just making sure that she knew that.

I hope you find her a home! Try putting her on a waiting list for a no-kill animal shelter or adoption agency. Im sure there are plenty of local agencies in your area (my town has about 7!)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shortygirl

Thanks guys, yes I've tried putting up things around town & at the vets...noone's coming through, and come to find out today, she's already pregnent! Hopefully I can find someone to at least take her kittens now!

~Michelle

12. jimbobroy

jimbobroy New Member

Why are you breeding her if you dont have the room to keep the kittins? There are WAY to many cats out there alrady so even if you did not try to breed her you should have got her fixed. But it is to lait now just make sure they all get good homes.

13. shortygirl

Dude, I'm definately not breeding her... shes a STRAY that wandered onto my front porch bc some ass decided they didn't want her & she found ME! Then I thought she was preggers bc her belly got HUGE after I fed her...she's not BTW...thankfully. Why the hell would I BREED a stray, starving cat with no bloodlines, doesn't even make sense?!?!?!

Read the actual post before you comment & if you can't find anything helpful to say, keep it too yourself.

I have a SEVERE PROBLEM with people who dump animals/drown kittens/beat dogs etc...I'm not gonna let this sweet lil thing STARVE to death on MY WATCH...

I'm not trying to be pissy here people, but I WANT TO FIND THIS CAT A HOME. If I cannot (and so far noone wants an almost full grown cat) I WILL KEEP HER. She WILL be spayed as soon as I can afford it (and with 3 other cats of my own, plus my herps & a dog, it's getting a lil steep).

OK - rant's over

~Michelle

14. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

have you looked to see if there is an "operation catnip" in your area? this is a low cost/free spay/neuter program for cats

15. shortygirl

I'll have to look into it, thank LMarshall. I used to take my "strays" to one when I lived on Long Island, NY, (I had an unofficial cat rescue lol) but I just moved to NEPA in December, have yet to get my bearings. If anyone knows a reputable placve...it would be appreciated. If not, my vet's a great guy who usually works with me on payments & whatnot.

It'll be tough, but she's a trooper & I intend to try & give her the best (I just hope she doesn't have any "friends"!!)

~Michelle

16. Bodie

Bodie New Member

yep, there are a lot of low cost spay and neuter clinics. Im taking a stray there that I found too. I completely understand about money issues, because I havent been able to spay her yet because I cant afford it. Just keep her indoors, so she wont get pregnant before you spay her.

17. shortygirl

Indoors is a no-go (Mom's a bit hyper about strays) If it was my own place, it wouldn't be a problem, but mom makes the rules, so I got her a "Dogloo" to sleep in & my big tom cat (yes, he's neutered, but we had him done late, so he's got the "tom" qualities") patrols the house, so believe me, NO cat is getting into his territory. I'm getting her done next week, and she hasn't gone back into heat thankfully, so at least we won't have to worry about THAT!

~Michelle

18. cegninedorf

cegninedorf New Member

Hey,

I'm new yet to this forum, and in exploring, I saw this sub-forum, and I'm an enormous cat lover myself...and I just wanted to ask if you found a home for your Little Orphan Annie stray, along with her kitty-babes. :) I used to live in southern PA as a kid, and we were constantly taking in strays on the sly (when my father wasn't looking!)...some things sadly never change, it seems. I hope that all turned out well, though!

Christina

19. shortygirl

Unfortunately, when I took her to the vet, she WAS indeed pregnant...we're waiting for the kittens as I type, so hopefully she'll be OK. She'll be a good Mom though, I have no worries about her. And it looks like she's here to stay, but we've got people who want the kittens, which will help...considering my "collection" has grown quite a bit in the last month or so!

BTW - Welcome to RR, what kind of herp do you have?

~Michelle

20. cegninedorf

cegninedorf New Member

Michelle,

I know what you mean about your collection growing! However, my brood is certainly nowhere near as large as yours, but living in my studio apt in Chicago, it's definitely large enough! :) I have 3 cats, and as for herps -- 0.2 leopard geckos (Rosa & Flaca) and 0.0.1 amel corn snake (Maizie, named when I thought for sure she was a girl...now I'm not so sure, but the name is to stay!). I got my 2 geckos & the snake within the last 4 weeks, and I'll be getting 1 more snake within a week for my 2nd grade classroom. I'm too attached to Maizie right now, and even though the newbie will be coming home with me on the weekends & holidays and will also obviously be my snake, Maizie will be my snake alone.

Thanks for the welcome, and if I lived in PA, I'd have been happy to help you out with the calico. Who can resist a sweet kitty? :D All of my kitties were strays, with one being more feral -- and I do think that all 3 are quite appreciative of the life they have now. :) Good luck with your kitty.

Christina

21. LeoDee

LeoDee Well-Known Member

Re: RE: A little off topic - Stray Kitten needs loving home

Just a note about no-kill animal shelters... they are "no kill" because they have the right to turn down surrenders, hence the wait list. If they do accept your animal and are not successful in placing her, they will send her elsewhere to be euthanized. You would have better luck with a rescue organization that works through foster homes, as you can trust them to do what they say and say what they mean.

Are you SURE she isnt pregnant? A no kill animal shelter will not accept a pregnant female and they will not accept kittens under 8 weeks of age.

Bodie has good advice... make a typewritten contract that the adopter must sign. Be sure to mention whethe the cat must be kept indoors, that she will not be declawed, regular vet care, etc. I wish you the best in finding her a home, hope this helps along the way!

22. shortygirl

RE: Re: RE: A little off topic - Stray Kitten needs loving h

Actually, she had the kittens on 8/18 - they're ADORABLE, 6 of em, healthy, huge & CUTE as buttons...see for yourself!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have good homes for all of them except 2 so far & mom's staying with me! Going in to get spayed as soon as she's done nursing!

~Michelle

23. cegninedorf

cegninedorf New Member

Congrats!

Those kittens are PRECIOUS!!! ;) I love that 3 are orange & 3 are brownish-white...so cute. :p I'm glad that you have homes for them...I'd take one, too, if I could, but alas...kittens don't travel well by mail. :wink: Good luck with finding homes for the other 2 (which I'm sure won't be too tough!) & congrats again on your new mama cat, too! :p

24. shortygirl

RE: Congrats!

Thank you!!!! I'm going to be busy buys with the camera today, they all finally opened their eyes...oh, I think I'm in LOVE! lol. The little one with the orange face is my favorite, but they're all just the sweetest little things. Momma cat (we named her Smokey) is doing a GREAT job ... but I'm glad she won't have to go through that again!!!

~Michelle

25. cristine

cristine Embryo

No kill rescues

A.B.C. in New Jersey is a no kill place. Animal Birth Control is in New Jersey. :)