A Note on Behavior....

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by biochic, Apr 13, 2006.

1. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

This forum is intended for people to come and share their animals, experiences, and information, and to seek information as they need it. We exist to help make the lives of the animals we keep as full and healthy as possible. Everyone that comes here has different opinions on the care and husbandry of their animals and feel very strongly about their opinions. If you happen to disagree with someone, let them know in a polite and understanding manner. If someone openly attacks you, ignore them, and contact myself, another mod, or the admin immediately. Do not engage in open arguments in the forums. This is not the place for that.
    The Terms of Service you agreed to when you signed up state: "Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and this site. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning. " After one warning, you will be banned from the site. So please help is keep this site a friendly and mature place for people to share their experiences and knowledge and get the information they need to help their animals.
    Thank you.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

I agree its a shame when you think you have a good idea and then people jump down your throat.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Most people join reptile rooms to learn, or share their experience. We do, on occasion, get the Troll, who posts once, and procedes to start an argument. (The calcisand issue seems to be a favourite.) These trolls, in most cases, are quickly banned by the administration, but not before the argument is in full force. And if you disagree with how someone is caring for their animal, politely give them information. All you can do is INFORM them on proper care. Not everyone will listen, just do it politely. Remember, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all :(.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I also agree. People are very protective and pationate of their animals and their correct care but we should all stay open to new ideas and talk through changes logically and respectively. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ellman605

ellman605 Member

ditto

i think this should be pointed out.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. themowingmonk

themowingmonk Member

this in should be kept in mind especially in the Leo forum when it comes to substrates.

12. SavannahQueen

SavannahQueen New Member

I couldn't have put it better myself....thanks for the info

13. Lizard_lard

Lizard_lard New Member

i agree with the leo forum people are posting not to help but to argue with someone that disageed with their morph or something else. luckily there are moderators and people like clementine and montgomery to say something that helps.

14. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Hello,

Very well stated. As Janice and biochic stated, these forums for learning and sharing. Thanks biochic!

Corey

15. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Yeah, I think that FRIENDLY advice should be given. Although I find that most of the people here are very friendly, or else I wouldn't post so much, there are still those that if your idea may not be the best...they automatically assume that you're trying to hurt your pet. Sometimes its just that people dont have enough experience to now..and thats exactly why they come here! :D Pretty much what biochic stated, and she did very well at that.

16. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Recently, as some of you may be aware, rudeness, has once AGAIN been appearing far too much in this forum.

Here's what to do if you encounter someone being rude. Contact a Mod straight away. Don't even bother replying to the user. People who come here to cause trouble, want you to argue with them, and you will end up saying things you may regret. I will edit inappropriate comments upon seeing them. Reptile Rooms operate a ZERO TOLERANCE policy.

It's a shame that this announcement needs to be re-emphasized, as these forums are really meant for people to come here, share their thoughts, and more importantly to learn.

Thanks for your co-operation, Luke.

17. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

That being said, constructive debates are a welcome addition to the mundane boards at times. This means posting in a polite fashion, stating facts and waiting to hear the other side of the issue. Everyone has different views on how to raise animals, heck CheriS and I butt heads at time over some of the details but in the end its done in a polite manner.

The way I look at it is treat everyone the way you would like to be treated.

18. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

You hit the spot there perfectly Tux. As long as everything is done in a respectable manner, and there is not rude comments, or no *getting personal* as has been the case for the past few days, there will be no problems at all.

19. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

I'm new to this web site because of all the "Know it all's" at the last one I was at. I don't care if you disagree with me but don't try to make yourself look smart by making someone else look dumb!

20. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

I'm new to this web site because of all the "Know it all's" at the last one I was at. I don't care if you disagree with me but don't try to make yourself look smart by making someone else look dumb!

21. Savvy_Sav

Savvy_Sav New Member

Sorry for the echo

22. ruksgotthebucks

ruksgotthebucks New Member

i completely agree,healthy debates and discussions are absolutely needed to better understand correct care,some things work better for different people,and different species,no one person is an expert,no matter if you have dealt with reptiles for years,its always possible to keep learning and a good idea to be open to it....its healthy for you asan owner and enthusiast as well as for the animals who are in your care....too many times a simple question is asked or simple statement and within 4 or 5 replys it turns into a heated assault between members and the initial question is lost,the point of these forums is for people and their pets to benefit,its supposed to be fun and informing,if your so much of an expert that you have to try and belittle people and argue then you have no business on here anyway...."its better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it".....i think this is a great thread and everyone can learn from it :D