A question on keeping torts together?

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by BigS06, Oct 30, 2007.

1. BigS06

BigS06 Member

Would it be ok to keep two young hermanns tortoises (about a year old) together after a proper quarantine and all that? Im just curious because Im getting another and I think a "companion" would make things a little more interesting for my lil guy/gal. Lil huxley loves interaction and since my job keeps me busy I thought it would be nice for him to have something to interact with, regaurdless of whether or not they feel lonley or anything like that. Also how old would you say a tort has to be before it can be sexed? I keep on reading 3 or 4 but Im not sure just yet.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Like every other reptile. You cannot put two males together. Adding females would be ok, however you must have enough room and be willing to commit yourself to caring for a gravid female (diet needs to support higher calcium needs), incubating eggs, raising young, selling or rehoming them. Or plan to freeze the eggs.

And yeah, it takes a few years for you to be able to tell by just looking. Possibly earlier if a male fans or if one checks.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. BigS06

BigS06 Member

Im completely prepared to seperate if needed, I just wanted to make sure there werent any major issues with a new addition. If they both do end up being males, do you think they would get along until sexual maturity or would there be an immediate issue?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Depends, they might realize they're sexually mature before you realize it, or one may be older.
    Better option if you're going to possibly end up breeding is to maybe wait a little longer and do a lot more research. Find other forums that has several tortoise breeders on them, just in case you need specific questions answered.

I also suggest maybe waiting till spring. :p Unless you have a local breeder and will be driving to pick up your new addition. Winter shipping for reptiles would make me paranoid.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BigS06

BigS06 Member

I think Illl take your advise and give it some time, better safe than sorry yeah? Speaking of safe... I remember how shipping my first one went last january. The lil guy was lucky to be alive, LLL Reptile did a great job packing though. :shock: