A snake, but what to get?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by nuggular, Jun 6, 2005.

1. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a corn snake. But I really want to do a viv for a snake. I guess I could just go and find plants that need low watering. Is there any kind of snake that needs high humidity that doesnt get so big. 3-4 ft is about all I have room for. I have many other reptiles so I am not a beginner here. Just never had a snake before.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

beginner!! lol just kidding, nug. umm ... i dunno. cornsnakes are the only little ones i know of .. blood pythons get betwen 4 - 6 feet, get one of those! do a google search on pythons and look at the different pythons. that what i did and found the blood. then when i knew what snake i wanted, i did a good search on that particular snake to figure out if that was the one i really wanted. maybe do that with the word 'colubrid' and see what happens. maybe look into snakes that are navtive to fl, cuz it's sure hot here.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SatanicIntention

SatanicIntention New Member

There are Rosy Boas, Kenyan Sandboas, Kings, Corns, Milks, African House Snakes(look like pythons but are colubrid), Ribbon snakes.

Blood pythons are terrestrial snakes and will not do well in a naturally planted viv that. Plus, they can get upwards of 7-8ft for large females.

Corns will not do well in high humidity. African House Snakes are very neat and are semi-arboreal. I don't believe they get very big, 2.5-3ft max. Look at Cherryville Reptiles at http://www.cherryvillereptiles.com/

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Thx for the info guys. I guess I will just have to look around and find me a grate snake that I just love and want. :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BoyntonStylez

BoyntonStylez Member

Intention -- Just for the record, I was joking arond with nuggular. Anyhow, Nug, good luck with your search!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I think a corn, or any version of rat snake, is your best choice. I strongly recommend against a blood python until you gain a lot more experience. They get big and are often less than tame. Nothing like a bite from a 30 lb snake to change your attitude. start small and learn well :)

Tom

12. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

There are a number of snakes that you can go with but for a planted viv you are better off sticking with lizards or frogs. With the proper research and a GOOD cage setup you could go with an arboreal like an amazon tree boa, emerald tree boa, or green tree python. If you choose this route do LOTS of research and have you cage setup at least a month in advance so that you can stabilize the temps and humidity before putting the snake in.

13. undefined

undefined New Member

I think a corn snake would be great. That may be because I have a one I need to get rid of( ). They are pretty easy to care for. Ya know, water, feed, keep temps right, and handle at will. Good eaters ( I am yet to see one refuse food). I don't think I would go with a Green Tree Python. It needs high humidity and it's bite is quite ouchy. The corn snake can be just as testy, but doesn't have the bite to follow the bark. I've hurt myself worse with a bar of soap ( ya, go ahead and think about that).

14. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

I agree 100% with this. GTPs and emerald are among the world's prettiest snakes but they tend to be bitey and have special teeth designed for eating birds which tear you up. I've seen tame ones but I've seen a lot more that weren't tame. I don't consider either to be an acceptable beginner snake.

15. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

ETBs get the wrong reputation as being bitey snakes. They may not be as docile as a corn and shouldnt be handled even if they were.
    I have had several BCIs that are a lot more likely to bite than my emerald. The other ETBs that I have owned have been the same way. ATBs on the other hand will bite every chance they get. Wild caught ETBs are probably the reason for most of the nasty reputation that the ETBs get. Most healthy ETBs dont have nearly the attitude that most people would associate with an ETB.

16. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Perhaps so, I haven't spent too much time around them but I've always heard many of them are bitey. I think the real issue for me is those long curved teeth and how much its going to hurt if they do bite!

17. officialherpfreak

officialherpfreak Member

I still think a corn snake is the ultimate begginers snake. Why not fake plants that just look real?

18. jmpearson2001

jmpearson2001 Embryo

i don't know about humidity but the shortest snake i know is the wormsnake... 12"/ 1' long 1/4" wide

19. officialherpfreak

officialherpfreak Member

I have worm snakes in my backyard.

20. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Member

Worm snakes are not good pets, they're unlikely to eat.

21. officialherpfreak

officialherpfreak Member

Yeah, i found that out after i caught a few and tried to keep them as pets.

22. officialherpfreak

officialherpfreak Member

Yeah, i found that out after i caught a few and tried to keep them as pets.