AAAHHHH OMG HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by bearded_dragon_man, Nov 15, 2006.

1. bearded_dragon_man

bearded_dragon_man Member

my iguana just ate some paper towel help :cry: :cry: what should i do please help ASIP im not sure if he ate lot but i saw him eat a mouth full, should i try to boost temps at his basking spot? give him a bunch more bath's? HELP ME PLEASE..... :cry:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

OK OK
    calm down honey

offering fluids and extended soaking will help him potty.
    baby iguanas will taste just about anything. lucky for you it was only papertowel. There are worse things to ingest for sure.
    You need to call your vet and let them know what your Ig has been into.
    I think that using slate tiles or slate stone of some kind is the best substrate to use. They are easy to clean & disinfect, they hold heat, and they are impossible to ingest unless, of course, they are broken pieces.
    Watch your Ig. Watch his potty habits. And call the vet just in case.
    Good Luck,
    Lisa

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bearded_dragon_man

ok thanks, im calm now, he seems to be the same as he always is just hanging around he ate some greens after the paper towel so hopefully this will help him in the digestine? i think the paper towel will break up im going to watch him for a day or to before taking him to the vet and if he does his go potty should i forget about the vet and just continue on as if nothing happened?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

As long as your Ig is eating and pooping normally everything should be OK. Just keep a closer watch for the next few days on how much hes eating, and make sure his feces and urates look like they normally do.
    If you are going to take him to the vet collect a sample in a plastic baggie for testing.
    Lisa

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bearded_dragon_man

he hasnt pooped yet but im hoping he will in his next bath fingers crossed :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

You can up the temp. of the water a few degrees and soak him for a few minutes, then giving his tail a gentle pumping motion while he's soaking might help move things along. Gently massage his belly...are there any hard lumps? If so you are in need of a vet due to impaction.
    If you (and your Ig) are so willing....you can lube up his vent area with some castor oil or vitamin E oil and try to get him to poop that way.
    DO NOT insert anything into his vent, you could damage his hemipenis.
    Call the vet...
    Lisa

12. bearded_dragon_man

where should i feel for hard lump around his hind legs?from feeling around his lower body (just above his hind legs) it doesnt feel like theres any hard areas just squishy as usaull...thanxs for all the help SpiderQueen you have been great

13. bearded_dragon_man

i finish another bath he drank a fare bit of water, what about that stuff that makes you go to washroomwould it possible to give him that to help pass the impaction?

14. JBCT

JBCT New Member

Dont give him a laxative. Thats crazy.

You dont know if the lizard has an impaction. Everyone is impaction happy. If the lizard doesnt poop like a machine gun people think its impacted.

Relax. Its a little piece of paper towel! What happens to a paper towel when it gets wet? It turns to mush right? What do you think is happening inside the lizards stomache?

If hes eating and drinking and appears to be acting normal hes probably fine. Dont give him laxatives, dont try to squeeze it out of him, dont rub strange things on his vent. Leave him alone!

If you're still nervous try this. Put a piece of collard green in a glass of water. In another glass put a piece of paper towel. Shake well. Come back in an hour and see what they look like. Still think hes impacted? :lol:

15. bearded_dragon_man

ill have to try the paper towel thing tonight...lol i was just wondering about the laxative i didnt give him any im not going to just test medication/chemcials on him without some kind of advise right now he is laying on my leg, he just finished his a bath but no poo and just finished a nail trim no bleeding :lol: ill see if theres any poop in the cage tommorow hopefully (crosses fingers) there will be some... i know its just paper towel but im worried about him he's my baby :lol:

16. JBCT

JBCT New Member

I really hope he poops too. If he doesnt hes going to need counseling from all this attention. :lol:

Its like that old saying a watched pot never boils.

17. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

LOL your sarcastic approach is rathar amusing to me. :lol:

Anyways, it dosnt hurt to try any of the things I advised. If you refer back to my origional post, I said ingesting a piece of paper towel wasnt so bad, there were worse things he could have swallowed, and in the event of a POSSIBLE impaction or unusual lump in the stomach, what he could do until he could get his Ig to a vet.
    My Ig ingested something from off the floor and it caused a mild impaction that my oiled-vent trick helped out. So that method was tried and worked.
    Are you a veterenarian? me niether.
    Lisa

18. bearded_dragon_man

well lets see what tommorow holds :lol:

19. JBCT

JBCT New Member

I was mainly advising Bearded Dragon Man not to give the lizard a laxative and having some fun. I wasnt directing sarcasm at you in any way, shape or form.

I also suggested leaving the animal alone. Just my opinion. You are free to have yours as well. Thats what these forums are all about. An exchange of ideas. And then the original poster can look at all the info and decide his/her best course of action.

I believe that sometimes people in their sincere desire to care for their animals go overboard and do more harm than good. They constantly mess with the lizard, handling it, poking and prodding it, etc. When really no problem exists it is just the paranoia of the well meaning keeper. Again, just an opinion. Feel free to disagree.

No need to get upset. This really isnt that serious.

20. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

Whoa-whoa...
    Im not the least bit miffed...I said I thought you were amusing and you are...as in funny=makes me laugh.
    ...and I was just commenting that the oli/vent thing did work...
    its cool 8) OK?

21. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

Oh, and btw, you had me pegged....I am a brooding worrywort mommy :roll: :roll:

22. JBCT

JBCT New Member

Its icicles. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

23. bearded_dragon_man

HE POOPED!!! :) :) :D :D :D im so happy,it was just a little one and in it was in his food bowl lol but better he poops in that then nothing at all right? of course its right :)

24. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

LMAO
    all this chaos cause 'junior' was constipated...HaaaaHahahaaaaa
    noone cares when I cant poop :)

25. bearded_dragon_man

well thats your personal stuff SpiderQueen lol