Abandoned water dragons

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by scottandhisdragons-), Dec 31, 2005.

1. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

So i went to the local reptile store a few days ago there was a pair (male + female) of adult water dragons that had just been abandoned by their owners. at least they had the decency to take them to a store where they`ll find a good home instead of just leaving them outside.
    Fell for them straight away and thought well since its xmas and i haven`t treated myself.....

So i went home built a massive viv then went back for them :)

They have been kept together since they were young and seem to get along very well. The male has alot of his tail missing. I`m not sure wether this is from the female or another pets the previous owners may have been foolish enought to introduce them to.

The first few hours they were in their new viv they started misbehaving :shock: . I knew this was going to happen but the main problem is that because the viv i built is so big there is no way i can seperate them.

Anyway i know that if a female is sexually active then she needs avery high calcium diet.

*Is there anything else i could to do to help the female cope with all the monkey business???

Thanks Scott

Heres the pics:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?op...547&cat=507
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?op...548&cat=507
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?op...549&cat=507

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. agamaslamma

agamaslamma Embryo

what are your dimensions?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scottandhisdragons-)

Its a fair size 6ft 2"long x 2ft 6"deep x 3ft 6" high. Takes up most of the room.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. scottandhisdragons-)

Big enough for me to sleep in lol

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. waterdragons2

waterdragons2 New Member

Aww...what a couple of cute, fat babies. :)

I would really considering fashioning a divider out of plexiglass or something and installing it into your cage. Even with a high calcium diet, most gravid females are definitely not in the mood, and breeding males are...well...breeding males. Even without the problems of eggbinding and calcium defincies in the picture, he can still stress her to death trying to get her to breed. I saw this happen with a pair of veiled chameleons.
    Other than that, you can try offering her some pinkies and fish for a protein boost. If you can't install a divider, you might throw another female in there, to give him another lady to take out his "frustration" on, so he isn't chasing that one gravid female around constantly. And, of course, make sure you put a nice, moist box of some eco-earth/bed-a-beast and vermiculite in some seculded area to give her a place to lay. That Jungle Earth stuff is a good, yet expensive mix for egg-laying.