adult size?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by DizzyStar, Jun 23, 2005.

1. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

i was at petco acquiring snake food the other day and one of my favorite and least favorite things to do is check up on their reptiles. i hadnt been to this one in a while and they had a FREAKING HUGE tokay gecko. it was partially stuck to the back wall, partially on the ground but from tip of nose to tip of tail i'd guess she was at least 8-9 inches long.

i always thought geckos stayed pretty small.... how big DO these guys get?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

also... what are the odds of one that size being able to take off a a human finger? i dont even know if they have teeth.... i know nothing of the geckos.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

They can get bigger than that. I have 2 of them and they are 10 1/2 inches and the bigger one is 11 1/2 inches. I have heard of them being 14 inches, so that is huge. I have been bitten and no they cant take a finger off, unless mabye they got ahold of a little baby's finger. They just rip your skin off. But they are great to have.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Gauzbo

Gauzbo Member

My male is 15 inches and my female is 16 inches, they can get nice and big, I have heard some people say they have seen them 2ft but thats a little hard for me to believe, but with tokays... maybe. Heres a picture of a giant, beautifully light colored tokay. http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/432Alb...rque013-med.jpg this thing is thicker than a burger king whopper.. I think mine are heading that way :) the things are too lazy to even bite me anymore.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. herpmaniac

herpmaniac New Member

Tokays get very large. They are one of the largest geckos there are. They eat like horses and are generally quite aggresive. They cant take a finger off although if they latch onto u good u might think u will loose a finger. They dont like to let go once they bite. Cold water on thier head seems to work pretty good in case of a bite. They only thing my tokay Gretchen hates worse than me is cold water and she lets right go if i run a little on her head. She is 13 inches and doesnt look like she will stop growing anytime soon. Please dont buy it on impulse cause they are definatley not for everyone and can be quite hard to find a home for. But i love them. lol

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DizzyStar

DizzyStar Member

oh i wasnt going to buy her/he/it. i've got my two slithers and thats good enough for me right now. i'd eventually like a geko buti'll probably go with a cresty or gargoyle after some more research and study =]