Advice on getting a boa

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by artgecko, Sep 11, 2007.

1. artgecko

artgecko New Member

Hi
    i've been keeping snakes for a few years now but always corns or milks the occasional king. I'm looking for something bigger, not massive just something thats got a bit more snake :p Really a 3ft viv is as big as i want to go maybe a 48 inch. Red tails are out of the question as i don't really want a 14 ft snake i know thats the max but still.
    Sand boas are a little small and bear in mind the species needs to be common as i can't drive so it needs to be fairly common. so i can get it locally.
    I have looked at columbian and ecuadorian rainbows and have started looking at common boas (imperator) but really i'm asking for suggestions, not just boas although thats what i'm looking into but any python species let me know.
    Cheers

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Rainbows are all nice, including Brazilian and would do well in a 4' x 2' viv. "Common" boas still get pretty big really, they are thicker and heavier than the rainbows but the care would be slightly easier, rainbows need cooler temps and higher humidity and are not as forgiving of keeping errors.
    Pythons...have you looked at Carpets? Irian Jayas are in the 4 1/2 - 6-ish foot range, Jungles a bit bigger and Coastals are largest at around 10 or so feet but they are a thinner bodied snake.
    You can order online, a reputable breeder will ship overnight, it's done all the time and rarely is there a problem. I have had all of my geckos shipped and both of my IJCP's shipped, everyone arrived safe and sound.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ssscales

ssscales Member

A Hog Island Boa is also another good choice or Dumerils Boa. JCP, IJCP's are great Pythons, Ball pythons as well. Any of these would make a great addition to any collection.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. artgecko

artgecko New Member

all well and good but i'm in the uk some of those sub species i've never heard of and courier livestock is very hard to come by. I have looked at jungle carpet pythons haven't seen any of the other subs and have looked for a while.
    thx for the advice though because i hare using anonymous care sheets to base decisions on as they are so varied in opinions its peoples actual experiences that are most valuable i find.
    I'll take a further look into carpet pythons

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Clementine_3

I know there are some very respected Carpet Python breeders in the UK, I'll have a look around and see what I can find for you. You should be able to get an IJ though, they are pretty common in the world of Carpets. Google them though, look at the pics, I think they are great snakes (once the settle down ;) ).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. artgecko

artgecko New Member

cheers clem ;) much appreciated

12. artgecko

artgecko New Member

well i just looked at my regular classified ad haunt and it took me all of 5 seconds to find a breeder of iranian jayas :) so there out there i just have to start the task of getting everything ready, usually takes me about 2 months before i've reseached enough and i'm happy i don't like to rush things. Its still gonna be awkward to get a breeder to courier me one but i'm sure if the price is right ;). Amazing though i'm putting some of my little snakes on those pages every other day and i've never noticed these carpets lol

13. Clementine_3

14. artgecko

artgecko New Member

cheers clem i found his sight literally just before i checked back here thx. Loving the iran jaya's may just have to get one ;)