Advise for new owner on Tokay

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Ubi, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Ubi

Ubi New Member

I didn't buy it they gave her to me...they were very serious about killing it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

nomad85, you will need a bigger tank for your tokay. If it is already full grown, get a new tank ASAP. 10 gallon is way to small for a tokay. I keep 2 in a 55 gallon. I would say at least 20 gallons per tokay at the least. A red-heat night bulb is not useless for a nocturnal gecko. I keep a 100 watt red-heat lamp on at night so the tokays can get warmth to digest the food they eat. I keep my leos red-heat lamps on 24-7. Their color is much better when a heat source is always present.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Keva

Keva New Member

That reminds me of the time I went to Petco. This was before I got my Leopard geckos. I was looking at the geckos and saw what I thought was a dead Tokay Gecko. I called a store employee over and he opened the lid. It was alive but barely. The poor thing was terribly skinny. I said to him that it needs to go to a vet or else it would die. But he was recently employed and was too afraid to touch it. I asked for a carrying container for small animals; I then placed it in there. It was too weak to react and did nothing as I handled it. I was told that a vet would come in the morning and it was taken away. That was the last I heard of it and it has been many months since.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. marcus

marcus New Member

Tokay gecko

Hi i am a new owner for tokay gecko's.Well I am 11 and have had two iguanas in my past. but never a tokay gecko. The pet store i went to was petco. But I do have to say the cage for him was a tad small. still he got used to his cage his first day in it. i really love him. I just wanted to say the night glo bulbs do not hurt him. He is just as he has always been. Its naming him thats the problem. Someone help me out?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Keva

Keva New Member

How about Cedric? Or Moris? Or maybe Tasso?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. marcus

marcus New Member

nothx i named him croc.