African Spurred Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by DVM12, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

HI All.
    I am a Canadian Proud and true-- but i got stuck here in California when my mom moved us down here 9 yrs ago! BOO!!!

Anyway. I have a 6mo old hatchling African Spurred Tortoise (not to be confused with african spur thigh tortoise).

Hes undergoing treatment for an infection the poor little dude. Anyway, There arent really any Herp vets out in my neck of the woods, so i need a reccomendation on a low phosphorous comercial food that i could soak in water to syringe feed him that DOES NOT CONTAIN SOY.

If anyone has suggestions it would be appriciated.

Also if any one had a reccomendation on a specific type of calcium substrate sand go ahead and let me know!

Thanks,

Tabitha[/b]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bratspets

bratspets Member

Where in Southern Cal? Yeah, I would choose Canada over the sun belt, too! 8)
    Did you take him to a regular vet for the infection? Are you avoiding soy for the protein in it? Why a packaged food?

Here is a site to help you find a herp vet, surely within an hour.
    http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html

I don't know that you want calci-sand...may lead to impactions. Calcium supplements in the food may be safer.
    Try this site for the best substrates to use and which to avoid:
    http://www.sulcata-station.org/faq.html#substrate
    "Sand, Calci-Sand, crushed oyster shells -- These substrates can cause impactions in the digestive tract if the tortoise eats them. They also abrade the tortoise's bottom shell, which can allow infections to occur."

That site also has info about hatchling/juveniles:
    http://www.sulcata-station.org/hatchfail.html
    "For small (hatchling to 3-inch-long) tortoises: Pile a well-dampened substrate (Bed-A-Beast® or topsoil) deeply in the corners of your tortoise enclosure so that your tortoise can dig in for the night."

Here are a couple other quotes from the links below:
    "For indoor tortoises, a wide range of materials can be used for substrate, from simple newspaper, to hay, sand, or commercially available pelleted substrates. The main concerns with a particular substrate are that it be kept clean, and that it should be non-obstructing if ingested. Most reptiles eat bedding, whether by accident or intentionally. Items like pebbles, tree-bark, crushed walnut shells, corncob, or silica-sand can be problematic because of the potential to form obstructions of the gastrointestinal tract that may require surgical correction."
    http://www.arav.org/Journals/JA021748.htm

and some other tips for burrowing material:
    "Sulcatas like to burrow and they are quite good at doing so. They feel more comfortable when they can feel their environment around them. When a pig blanket on the floor is enough for heat, a trash can may work just fine as they can feel the sides of it around it. The curtain across the doorway helps as well by providing not only insulation by a physical, albeit passable, barrier. Fresh mounds of alfalfa hay or pesticide- and pest-free leaves and grass can be placed inside to also give them a burrowing medium. Check regularly and replace as necessary."

http://www.anapsid.org/sulcata.html

Hope those help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I agree that you should avoid the calcium sands. High risk of impaction if ingested. If you don't already, make sure you have the sand bed separate from the rest of the enclosure and that you are not feeding on or over the sand to avoid ingestion. Regular playground sand from any home improvement store will sufice. Why not just take the timothy hay or whatever other grasses you are offering and break them up and puree them in a blender with some water. That would be much cheaper than a commercial food. Add the clacium supplement to it and it's a complete meal. Why are you offering a liquid diet? Is he not eating on his own?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

He is having his beak shaved on monday. He has a parrott mouth. I am taking him to work with me, but the Herp vet i work for isnt in until monday and i want her to do it, and none of the other "hot shot" vets that i work with. He cant get the food in his mouth to chew yet so thats why hes on liquid. I did puree alfalfa hay and alfalfa sprouts for him, but it still came chinkier than a soacked comercial food, and still requires him to tear at it, also hes fighting an infection, the old owners son stick a pin into his head no damage except opening the skin was done, however it is infected so hydrogen peroxide treatments and oral antibiotics are being administered. He has been getting stronger and stronger since i rescued him. The fatty covering on his eyes is gone and he can now see, the swelling on his head has gone down to. He is overall durasticly better than before.as soon as his beak gets shaved down hell be able to slowly start on solids. Hes a very ravenous little guy.

BratsPets-

I live in La Quinta, which is 2 1/2 hours from LA and 20 min from Palm Springs. I HATE IT HERE! I MISS SNOW!!!
    And Timbits...Oh I love Timmys!!!

;)

Anyway, Everyone down here says to use cal substrate sand, but i wanted opinions from people who dont have as much plastic in them as a honda civic.
    Lolz!

When he starts eating he will be feed in a hermet crab dish, as his water is in a low but large dish for hermets also.

Until hes strong and big enough-- Hes not a normal hatchling.

I have alfalfa hay down onthe bottom right now, i just kept getting told to use substrate- Heck i didnt even use substrate for the iguana i was fostering (what a pain that was)- he came from a drug bust in indio hills, and was a very docile iguana compared to those ive worked with and pet sat for..little did i know it was because there was soo much weed in his system that he was high for a week. when it wore off i worked with him for 3 months and no change he just got worse, he was eventually euthanised per dr and rescue reccomendation.

anyway kinda got off topic there.

Those sites you listed for me i have already checked out except the one for the sand. whicj i will right after i am done this post.

But as far as Anapsid goes i love her site, i also am a member of the World chelonian Trust.

They have alot of info on their sites.

Any otehr sugestions would be greatly appriciated.

-Tabitha

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

Okay Update with T.

His beak was shaved courtsey of my Vaca vet calling me when he got back. I brought him over to the office and he shaved the beak for me.

He is now moving down the alfalfa hay, he loves grapes and he loves sprouts. hes much perkier since being able to eat. I used grass hay as the bedding for his tank, he likes it, he can sleep on it walk on it and eat it.

Thanks for your help and advise.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bratspets

bratspets Member

What are timbits?

12. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

Timbits are these PERFECT little doughnut things that taste wonderfull. You can only buy them at a chain called Tim Hortons, They are better than Dunkin Doughnuts & Krispy Kremes. In my opinion. If you ever go to canada. Buy lots and pig out theyre the best!

13. biochic

We have Tim Hortons in Ohio. I love them! I had them first in Canada and was sooo excited when we got the chain here. I'm not really crazy about Timbits, though. For whatever reason, I like the regular doughnuts.

14. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

o see i love timbits, and their boston creme doughnuts. but thats my tasebuds. lolz!

15. bratspets

bratspets Member

Well, I have never found anyone that makes donuts better than Heavenly Donuts in San Diego. I miss the glazed ones. But I don't exactly NEED them, so it is a good thing.

If we get a trip to Canada I will try Timbits!

16. biochic

I think we've gotten off topic here and it's making me hungry! LOL!

17. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

Yes we have. Lolz!

However, I found good moisturizer for T's Shell. He has had his beak shaved. Is Now growing. I am going to be weighing him everyday and measuring him to track his progress. He was extremly sick when i got him.

Wish me luck!

18. biochic

You'd be amazed how much difference the beak can make. One thing you could try is offering cuttle bone. It keeps the beak worn down, plus it's a great calcium supplement.

19. DVM12

DVM12 New Member

i know it has made an exterme difference. I have a cuttle bone rock in there but he doesnt really like it. Dozer his sibling does. he chews on it every once and a while.

-Tabitha

20. Millerlite

Millerlite New Member

hold up a african spur tortoise the one the bigger one, i never herd of a african spur thigh tortoise, theres a spur thigh tortoise(Greek tortoise) and there is a african spur tortoise ( sulcata) Im confused, lol.