ALL THE PRETTY COLORS

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by Medusa Rhea, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Medusa Rhea

Medusa Rhea New Member

o_O Guys??? I'm curious here. I was sitting at the computer with Chascamichay {bluetongue skink} on my shoulder playing Bejeweled Twist. After like fifteen minutes or so Chasca sidled off of my shoulder and over to the screen and started staring at it semi-intently. To the point where I think that she was watching the jewels drop and so forth. So ok. Here is my question. Are reptiles able to distinguish different colors???? Or is that kind of wishful thinking???? o_O

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

It depends on the species of reptile, but yes most lizards can distinguish colors. Many diurnal species actually have the capacity to see into greater wavelengths of light than humans and may be able to perceive the UV spectrum = )

There have been a few videos out there on the web that depict bearded dragons and even some species of frog attacking things on a computer or phone screen. Some of them were actually very good at the game on touch-screen phones where the purpose is to squash the infinite waves of insects, lol.

Sharman Wisdom likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Medusa Rhea

Medusa Rhea New Member

o_O Ok. So can bluetongue skinks distinguish different colors and even shapes???? o_O

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ellanah Kirk

Ellanah Kirk New Member

It's possible I swear my water dragon likes the sound of a piano playing

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LilithTheLizardLady

LilithTheLizardLady New Member

:) Hmmmm, Ok. Cool. :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Great question. Many male lizards are brightly coloured ,so if lizards couldn't see in colour, then there would be any purpose for this.