AMAZING floridian tree frog!!

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by stina3246, Sep 14, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

During Hurricane Charley a large tree frog (he's probably a good 5 inches long and fat) somehow found it's way into my house. When we returned I let my skunk out for some excersize and about 20 min. later I came to check on him and he was happily munching on the frog. I took it away from him but he'd already chewed off one arm and took several good bites out of it's thigh. I thought it was dying for sure so I put it outside in my pinetree pot so it could die out side in it's natural environment. (I couldn't bring my self to finish it off and I thought it was just about gone anyway)
    I checked on it a few hours later, planning on tossing the body out but it was gone. OK...maybe some scavenger had carried it off.
    About 4 days after this I saw a frog walking across my patio, it was missing its arm and the back leg looked deformed but otherwise it looked healthy and well hydrated. (I don't know anything about frogs but it looked to be ok.)
    I am happy to say that the back leg has healed completely he can leap from branch to branch without much trouble even though he has no left arm. He's taken it apon himself to pester me now. I see him all the time. He'll leap from a tree and stick to my window while I'm on the computer. I'll be out on the balcony and he's sitting in my pine tree.
    I considered catching him and keeping him inside as a pet (since he has a disability) but he seems to be doing so well.
    I just had to share that with you all.....I was amazed!! I'll try to get pictures if I can.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

i would LOVE to see pictures. that sounds awesome. but . . . you have a skunk as a pet!? i totally didn't know that. i'll bet there's a story behind that . . . anyway, i'm not completely surprised that the little guy is healing well. if he was an aquatic frog there'd be a high risk of it getting infected but with it staying dry there's less of a chance of that. because herps are ectotherms, they can use more than 75% of the energy from their diet for growth and maintanence, so they have the ability to heal very quickly. as long as he seems to be doing well, i'd leave him outside.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Thats a great story.... lets see some pics!!!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stina3246

stina3246 Member

Here are the pics of this incredible frog. I went out to my patio lastnight and there he was.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] He is missing his left front arm.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

Wow thats a good story, good to see hes doing well!