Anole behavior?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Char, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Char

Char Embryo

I recently got a a green anole (less than a month ago). She's small, which I've been told means she is young. I have a 10 gallon tank for her. The base is coconut fiber. I have a wooden hideout (which she never goes in), a big fake plant (which shed loves), and a plastic fake plant (which she sometimes goes on). There are two light bulbs in a mini-combo deep-dome Zoo Med light fixture. One is a daytime 60w bulb, the other is a 50w basking bulb. For nighttime I have a night light in a different fixture. At the top of the tank I have one thermometer, and at the bottom I have another thermometer and hygrometer. I spray the tank 3-4 times a day. All temperatures are stable (top temperature around 85 degrees, bottom temperature around 75 degrees), as well as the humidity (around 75%).
    At first, the crickets I bought for her were much too big and she didn't eat them. No surprise there. I went back to the pet store and bought her meal worms, which she didn't touch. I read that anoles don't usually like mealworms, so I went back to the pet store and asked specifically for the smallest crickets they have. The lady gave me the tiniest ones, some the size of pinhead crickets. So far, she has not touched those either. I've been dipping them in calcium supplement, but she doesn't care. Often, too, she will crawl up to the crease along the top rim of her tank and lie there and go a deep brown. This worries me, so sometimes I'll take her out and she'll turn green again and her energy will be normal. She drinks water off plants. I notice she's been pooping which seems weird to me, considering she's not eating.
    Would she benefit from having another older female anole with her in the tank? Should I buy her pre-made anole food, or will she not eat it if it's not alive? Is this at all normal behavior? I've also noticed shedding around her nostrils, which I've read is normal (don't know if that's at all relevant).
    Help is appreciated, and if you need more info, let me know! Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Char

Char Embryo

One more thing:
    I've read them being brown could mean they're cold. I moved the light fixture closer, and sure enough she turned green. Only problem is, the top thermometer is now at closer to 100 degreesF and the bottom thermometer is at closer to 80 degreesF, which seems much too hot, BUT she is green again?