Anole Breeding: What is the point?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by GreenBean, Nov 23, 2010.

1. GreenBean

GreenBean New Member

I was just curious as to the point of breeding anoles with them in abundance with being wild caught. I'd prefer a captive bred anole to a wild one, but the average joe might not understand why. But anyway, with the costs of upkeep, feeding, lighting, cages to separate, etc. I mean why do it? As i read if an earlier post that going in it for the money is a bad business move d/t just cost compared to profit. (I wouldn't be in it for the money with anything I breed, just to make that clear.) But I mean with green anoles, there isn't much in the way of true morphs. I know there is a yellow one living out there. To then breed something w/o a morph w/ the intention of finding one will cost a lot for something that may not happen soon. I mean I know that everything needs to start somewhere, but I am just not sure as why it is done (if that makes sense). I don't remember anything in the way of patterns with green anoles, I know of a few phases and I can see breeding for that...but just the green anole. Why?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

personally i think wild caught is horrible and isnt fair to the animal itself. plus wild caught animals can carry parasites or have an illness. with captive bred animals you know where they came from, know their genetic history, and since the animal was hatched in an enclosure they are already used to living in captivity and may even be more people friendly. by people friendly i dont mean run up to you begging to be pet, but not hide all the time whenever you walk by.

one of the main reasons why i refuse to buy an anole is because all i can ever find are wild caught ones. if captive bred ones were easier to find then i would love to keep a couple