Anole died :(

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by lizardgurl87, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, a few months ago i got an anole, rhurbarb and then a month later i decided 2 get him some company, nesrine and they mated as i posted earlier, but in the last few days nesrine started moving slower and i tried 2 get her 2 eat and drink but she wouldn't and this morning she was dead :( but, idk how old she was or anything and she had been thriving just a few days ago and he still is, but R.I.P. Nesrine

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh no that's terrible. I wonder if she could have been egg bound? Hm. I would suggest doing a full super clean job on their tank just in case it was some disease she may have had you don't want him to get it.... Sorry for your loss :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I'm sorry to hear that, I know you were attached. I also wonder if it was egg binding...Hope the other dude is doing okay though. =)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

Thanks both of you and it could've been egg binding since she was pretty small, I will also make sure 2 clean the cage well.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

My condolences... I'm sure she lived a very good life under such a caring owner.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Chris Cancel

Chris Cancel New Member

Sometimes there is an underlying illness or internal problems with anoles. Usually when they are delivered to the store alot of the wild caughts are mixed with the captives, and parasites and disease can transfer very easily. Unfortunately this happens way too much in these industry and im outraged that this happened to you. Just make sure you ask whether these are field collected or captive breed, and take your time when choosing your next pet, look for any signs of disstress or illness adn best of luck

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  12. lizardgurl87

i'm pretty sure field collected, since i know they were shipped in from florida, but the male is still doing fine at least :)

13. Cookie17

Cookie17 HOTM Winner June

I'm sorry for your loss, it made me think of my female anole. For future reference, you don't want to breed a female if she is too small. Ideally you should wait until she is full-grown until you breed, because then you know she is sexually mature, and being full grown and gravid will create the least amount of stress with being a "mom" Plus there is a lessened chance of egg-binding. It could still happen, but if she's fully grown it will be slightly easier for her to lay the eggs because the opening through which they pass will be large enough. Hope this helps :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. lizardgurl87

thanks, i'll make sure the new female i get is fully grown :)

Cookie17 likes this.