Anole eye...

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by lizardgurl87, Sep 24, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, I just noticed today that one of my anoles eyes looks somewhat swollen and he can't open it much. He's still active and everything, but any suggestions? :/

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. You should also separate the anoles as soon as possible to prevent any potentially contagious problems from spreading. It may just be irritation from a stray piece of bedding getting in the eye, but I don't like to mess around when it comes to a lizard's vision, as most of them are highly dependent upon it. Besides, simple irritation can easily lead to infection even if it isn't infected right now.

In the meantime, what kind of lighting do you have on the cage? Specifically what brand, style, and strength of UVB lighting do you use? Also, what kind of supplementation do you use on the food? How often do you use said supplementation?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

ok, it's went down a little and i haven't gotten another anole yet so there's no one 2 seperate him from lol, but I use repti glo 5.0 uvb, I've been using fluker's calcium supplement 4 the crickets, which I also gut-load with fluker's calcium fortified gel, but when I run out of that I got a new bottle of reptocal I was gonna use, but I haven't switched yet...and I coat the crickets mostly 2 times a week, but he usually has mealworms and he was getting lazy and not eating the crickets at all, so I stopped giving him those for a little while.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Would it possible to get a picture up of the eye?

Any chance you use a particulate substrate? Something that may have been logged in the eye or scratched something?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

I'll try to post a pic tmmrw maybe, but he's sleeping now and I can't get a good view, and I transferred him to a bigger cage a few weeks ago where the substrate is different from b4-Fluker's all natural repta-bark and it used 2 be All Living Things(Petsmart brand) Reptile bark.

A few days ago I got a green tree frog and added it, but his eye was acting up before that and he's been doing fine with the frog there. I also added some moss, but he really hasn't been near it that I know of.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

so,his eye is looking fine today! It must've just been a piece of something, but I'll still keep watch on it.

12. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Glad to hear he is doing better. =)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  13. lizardgurl87

So, before I posted his eye looked a little weird, and it is starting to again I think, but maybe I'm just overreacting lol :) Anyways, here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even though his eye looks funny, I love how you can see his markings and colors since it's up-close.
    [​IMG]

14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm... it does have a little puss or something on it... very pretty guy you have there btw! So is it more of a puss discharge or is it more solid like?

15. lizardgurl87

It's more solid-like(like goop lol). I IM'd @Cammy about it and we had a convo, we came to the conclusion to flush his eye out, which I will be doing soon, what joy... :/

16. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

How did it go? Has he gotten any better over the weekend?

17. lizardgurl87

Well, I could not hold him down to save my life! but, I turned the water bottle to spray in a straight line and hit his eye a few times-he was rubbing it, but I think it may have gotten the "goop" loose. I'm going to try again soon and I might put saline in a water bottle, so I can get him easier with it.