Anoles...I only wish

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by my_baby_anoles, Jun 20, 2007.

1. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

I have said this a couple times through the site, but want to post it here.

I was given 3 anoles from a boy's mother. Now, she had originally bought him 5. He killed 2 of them throwing them accross a room because they would not sit on his hand...

of course i willingly took them in, as i quite often do. So after having them for about a year, i thought i found a suitable home for them. Well, the gentleman I gave them to decided to put a full grown golden tree frog in with them...needless to say, someone got eaten...well actually, 2 got eaten. So now I have one lonely guy back with me.

Anothre thing...a guy I know feeds anoles to his water dragon! I do not know how his juvenile sized water dragon could eat an anole...but whatever....cannot get anything through his head...

So you really have to watch what you do with them, definetely never ever ever put them in with anything else, because they must look like walking popsicles or something....

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Thats why I say Not to mix different species

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I hate it when people think anoles are a disposable pet just because they are cheap. Dw i try to get this message accross enough, it is one of my pet hates.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pauliox1

pauliox1 New Member

Eurgh. Some people.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

yeah...he told me they would be alone....I guess he did not think a frog counted...I was very upset...and told him he would never get anything from me again...but you can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. plmarsg8

I guess that is how some people just are.

12. mkj

mkj New Member

eh, i know peple who feed anoles to monitors and tegus aswell as beardies. Now i know i'll probably get flamed to hell and back but, feeding an anole is just like feeding mice and crickets. Same concept.

13. plmarsg8

There is less nutrition in feeding anoles compared to that of mice for example. There are healthier feeders out there. So why not order the more nutritious feeder instead of the less beneficial feeder?

14. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Also not to mention that most feeder anoles are only sold as feeders as they are in poor health, and are usually full of parasites. Why run the risk of passing these on?

15. mkj

mkj New Member

im not saying i feed anoles im just saying that i know people that do it and im ok with that...

16. Iguana_Momma_Sushi

Iguana_Momma_Sushi New Member

On the same side of that same coin, MKJ I have had mice as pets, and I wouldn't dream of feeding my pets to a hungry lizard. I've heard of people feeding kittens and puppies to snakes, or using them as shark bait. Of course I own dogs and cats, and find this appalling. But, it doesn't seem to be a problem to those people. I'm ok with feeding somethings to reptiles, but others, I'm not too thrilled about.

At some point it just gets to be, they've gotta eat something!!

17. SarahandReptar

SarahandReptar Embryo

The guy i got my anole from asked me if it was for feeding to a larger lizard. I gave him the biggest falsh of evils and told him certainly not! My little reptar is way to cute to do that! Thats when he went into a rant saying they are chaep pets and actually meant for feeding to other lizards and snakes. I couldnt belive it. Poor things.

18. jody

jody New Member

anole as a feeder?

I have never heard of that. I bought my son who is 10 an anole today and I own a 4 month old bearded dragon. I would never dream of feeding the anole to my beardie. I only feed my beardie small crickets,pheonix worms and his greens with fruit, no animals for him ever. I refuse to feed him a mouse..rat....small lizards or outside insects. I love him too much. My 10 year old has loved frogs since he was 4 and now owns a bull frog who is in its own tank and the anole in another. He even knows at 10 years old what to do and not what to do. I solely think it is the parent who makes the mistake of not teaching their kids what to do with animals or herps when they purchase them. I researched my beardie for a year! I as well printed out care sheets for the anole as well as my beardie. I do not understand what the point is for paying 20$ canadian for a anole to feed it to a beardie. That almost disturbs me. Today I watched it eat a small cricket, it is almost as neat as my beardie. It was funny seeing it attached to the glass, it loves to be misted too. Well this is one owner that is not seeing the anole mistreated or the beardie.

19. Lillster

Lillster New Member

i can't believe somebody would throw an anole they are so cute! i have a friend (well he's not really my friend i just know him) like that he threw his pet hamster out the window to see what would happen! :( i am 10 years old and i have 5 fire bellied toads 2 fire bellied newts 1green tree frog and 1 green anole and i have had them for about two years exept for the anole and green tree frog which i just got like six months ago and they are all healthy and in diffrent cages so they are alive

20. tkohlbre

tkohlbre Embryo

Ill agree with this, It's certainly better to feed feeders to you pets and not other things...I think some reptile owners enjoy feeding different things to their herps, though its not my cup of tea. I mean if i end up getting a reptile that requires a larger prey item, ill give it to them f/t or alive, though it'll still make me cringe.