Another egg!!!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by hobotramp, Sep 18, 2002.

1. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Well, Hobo was dark brown most of the afternoon and when I got home we checked on her to make sure she was okay... and found her lying beside an egg.:eek: We'd pretty much figured she wasn't laying anymore, but I guess she proved us wrong. We're re-warming the "incubator" right now so we can get the egg into it. We'll keep you posted!:(

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Hey, congrats on the surprise!

Any of 'em started hatching yet?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. hobotramp

hobotramp Member

Nothing so far, but we haven't seen any of the other eggs besides the first one that didn't make it (about 6 weeks ago).:) We'll be cleaning her enclosure today (very slowly and carefully), so we'll let you know if we find any good eggs.:) We suspect she has laid at least 2 more since then (not counting this new one), the first of them probably around Aug. 27th, so not quite a month yet for that one.:)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Good luck. One of the kids brought in an anole egg they found in the yard yesterday, so we've got that incubating too right now. Fingers crossed :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pastleyellowleo

pastleyellowleo New Member

what do anole eggs look like???

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Like chicken eggs, only REAL small.

They're about maybe 1/3" long from end to end, and are usually white or white speckled with bits of brown.

12. pastleyellowleo

pastleyellowleo New Member

i was just wondering if i found one id know what it is
    where do they lay them and what temp. do u incubate @:)

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They generally lay them pretty well hidden, they dig down a lil bit into the ground.

We had ours "incubating" in a 30 gallon tank in the back porch. We just set it up identical to the adults tank (which was as close as possible to the conditions outside here for the wild anoles), and all but one of the eggs hatched out great. No problem whatsoever.

Didn't even have any heat on 'em other than the ambient room heat.

We misted the tank a coupla times a day, so the soil didn't dry out, and as new babies were hatching out, they didn't get dehydrated, and could shed more easily.