Any Body Know Any Good Tortoise Breeder??

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by yesITis, Feb 5, 2005.

1. yesITis

yesITis New Member

i want to buy either a russian or a red foot. does any body know any good web sites or breeders i can buy 1 off of?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

the only reputable place i can think of right now is Turtle Town but for some reason his site isn't working . . . it's a great place, though, and if his site gets back up i'd highly recommend him. i have no idea what he has right now, though.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Amnesia

Amnesia New Member

I know its a little late in the day for a reply, but http://www.abbottsturtlefarm.com/ is a really good place to get tortoises. I bought my pair of russians there and they were active and in great shape. They were friendly and eating the first day they arrived. I also purchased a nice little captive bred reeves turtle hatchling which was also very friendly and well adjusted. It was taking reptomin sticks from my fingers within 2-3 days.

Back when I got my Sliders I bought from turtle town with mixed results. I wouldn't say they are a bad source, though. My first, a Belize slider came through without a hitch. She was a fiesty little devil from the begging and tried to eat the feederfish as soon as she entered her tank. My next order, for a Venezuelan and Nicaraguan slider, was not so good. They were crammed together in a small soup cup along with an RES that was an extra. It was a very nice gesture, and I love him now, but I do admitt I was unprepared at the time.

Anyway, the RES was fine, but the Nicaraguan and had bad eye infections. The Nicaraguan only had it in one eye and healed quickly, but my poor little Venezuelan almost didn't make it. Her growth was stunted from the illness for quite some time since she barely ate for several months. I ended up having to move her away from the others who were housed with her because she was much smaller than them, and they were attacking/bullying her. It did work out in the end, however, as her growth has evened out and she lives with my Belize slider happily now. I also purchased a Guatemalan slider there, which arrived healthy, but died around a year later due to a congenital birth defect. I don't blame that on the breeder, though, as there was no was he could have known. (These sliders were all captive bred hatchlings, and they were purchased around 5 years ago.)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

hey amnesia - abbotts is a GREAT place! i totally forgot about them! www.turtlepimp.com is fantastic, too.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LeprechaunLady05

LeprechaunLady05 Embryo

For Russians, a great breeder is Joe Heinen.
    Joe can be reached at JoeHeinendc@earthlink.net. They may be a bit pricy but they're worth it when you consider the cost of veterinary care you need for wild caught tortoises.