Any snapping turtle experts

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kizzie, May 28, 2007.

1. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

I really need a snapping turtle expert ASAP, where can I find one ?

Thank you

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

i owned a couple when i lived in florida i am not an EXPERT but i know a decent amount. PM me

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Hey, dumerillis, maybe you could put what you know in the thread. You never know, it may help people who are looking for info on this species in the future :wink:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

Well I guess I'll tell about my latest rescue. i saw a very large snapping turtle hit on the road head smashed ,so as always I stopped to get it off the road it was only on the edge, someone had to of swerved to hit it on purpuse :x then I found a egg it was in the shade and looked good so I guess she was looking for place to lay them.

I wraped the egg in a damp tissue came stright home and set up the tank incubater. I have hatched box turtle eggs with no problem, my concern is what does everyone think of this babies chance to make it?

It has been 4days and it still looks good, send a lot of good vibes and prayer that he/she will make it.

Kizzie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shadowgecko1997

shadowgecko1997 Embryo

i just returned one to the creek......i don,t know a lot

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shadowgecko1997

shadowgecko1997 Embryo

i just returned one to the creek......i don,t know a lot

12. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

So what is the main questions here to be answered.....I have been keeping turtles for many many years and can help you out all I can.

13. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

Read my second post it tells about the egg I found.

It has been ten days now the egg still looks perfect nice and white , but if I move a little bit if soil it looks opaque under the soil. Is this normal? I know I have three months to wait but I would like someone's advice on it's chance to develope.

14. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Best thing to do is just leave it be. Sometimes they will look kinda funny. As long as it doesnt get all yellow/brown and nasty you should have a baby in a while. A little mildew/mold happens and does not mean its going bad.

15. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

Oh thank you, :)

I have only seen mold on the soil mixture I just remove it. I look at the egg and check everyting 3 or 4 times a day. I don't touch anything I'm just a over pertective mom to be :wink:

16. rinako

rinako New Member

Good luck with the baby :(

17. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

Man, that just kills me when a turtle gets hit by a car...especially when it's on purpse. I saved a very beaten up painted last summer, broken back legs and a partially cracked shell, I don't know if she made it, but I definately gave her a chance by getting her out of the road and right by the lake. Good luck with it!

18. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

I want to thank EVERYONE for your support It means a lot. This might sound stupid to some of you but I love this egg and talk to it .

Punkrch I hope your turtle did make it but I would have had to take it home and to a vet.

19. wingnut

wingnut New Member

I've saved so many box turtles off the road that I have thought about fencing in a section of our backyard (like 2 acres or so) to be a 'box turtle ranch'. I usually just release them at the edge of our woods, but I'm always afraid I'll hit them with the lawn mower, although I do keep the blades at a 'turtle-friendly' height.

20. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

Kizzie, there was nothing anyone could do for the turtle. I called around to wildlife refuge's but none of them took reptiles. Also the local petshop couldn't do anything for it either. I was just happy to get it out of the road. It could still move pretty well with its front feet, and I let it go in where it could thrive as best as it could. Anyhow, I was pretty much in tears when I saw it, but I did the best I could.

21. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

I use to pick up box turtles and drive why away from traffic usally near a cow pond so they can eat bugs and good leafy thing and have water to drink.

WELL I at that time did not know that thay stay close to where they hatched, because they know where to find what they need. And a turle will spend the rest of it's life trying to get home :cry:

So now i just help them across the road .

22. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Male boxies have a range of up to 5 miles.......if you move them too far they are then out of the range they cruise. It is best to get them across the road and walk them in about 20 or so feet if possible and then leave them to it. Not always a possibility though.

23. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

Great Information I wish more people new.

24. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Amazing we went from a snapper egg to boxies crossing the road...........LOL

25. wingnut

wingnut New Member

Sorry to pull us off topic :)

I never knew that about the home range thing, anyone know of any studies into how they can tell they are 'off the range'?