Any snapping turtle experts

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Kizzie, May 28, 2007.

1. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

I'm guessing they mark the turtles and record where they're found over a period of time. As for what they do when outside the range, who knows? Its not like the turtle can admit to being lost :)
    I'd imagine, especially here, that their ranges also include a water source.

Back to snappers
    I found this one walking through my yard last month.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently they can go a couple weeks without water.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

[Back to snappers
    I found this one walking through my yard last month.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently they can go a couple weeks without water.[/quote]

I love the picture I'm going to start taking pix of my special baby egg, I call him Godzilla if a girl Godzzie.

I forgot what temp makes a girl or a boy .

I sound like a kid so maybe everyone should know, I'm 57 and my life is all about rescues. And how to release them back where they belong .

But I have to admit this very special baby will stay with me.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

OK I need resuring :p Monday will be 31 days and the egg still looks great are we out of the woods?

Do you think I'm still going to have a healthy baby.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

Sounds like it to me......:p

BTW I wrote an article about releasing aquatic turtles back into the wild..........I will try to dig it up.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

BTW way HI wings!

Nice to see another Okie on here.......:p

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kizzie

Kizzie Embryo

Thanks that would be nice. I rescued a RES that had been hit by a car lucky for him it was minor rear shell damage. After three days it looked much better so yesterday I released him at a wetland that is protected and has great ponds and marsh land . It was such a great feeling to watch him swim and dive under. :D

Oh I might add he was still in the path of highway traffic and cars driving over him (he was so lucky because he was in the very middle of the lane).
    So I stop traffic in my lane so I could get him .

12. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Hi there! I noticed where you lived when you started posting again recently, or posting in areas I look at. :) No idea if your area is flooding, but I just came inside from wading around in several inches of water because I had to cover my yearlings' pen. :D

Note to people building outdoor turtle pens, build the soil inside up above ground level and never put your pen in a low area of your yard. It's saved mine from being flooded right now.

Back to the subject of turtles and roads, about two weeks ago I found a large female slider that had been hit. Poor thing never had a chance. :)