are feeder fish good to eat?

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Christoker, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Christoker

Christoker Embryo

i just bought a waterfall/filter for my big water dish and the filter was working so good i figured fish could live in there, so i bought feeder fish just in case they got eaten, they wouldnt be hard to replace, but is it alright if my water dragons eat the fish, and is the water still good for them to drink even though there are fish and there is a filter???????

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

I think the rule of thumb is <mice are better than chicks are better than fish> as far as feeders go. I also like to use...Would you drink it??? If not, change it.

~Michelle

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

I wouldn't eat Crix I can tell you that :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shortygirl

lol, not even chocolate covered???? C'mon!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Fish are horrible they have lots of parasites. Also the waterfall not a good idea it wont filter out the worms and eggs that live in the water. Especially since fish are going in its gonna be hard to get rid of a colony of hook worms in water. Trust me its a horrible idea to do.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying its a good idea but I have heard of people putting fish in the water bowls... a person I know has a green basilik in a HUGE enclosure with a HUGE pond full of koi carp... of course the basiliks eats them lol and the basiliks looks exetremly healthy... bit of an expesive diet IMO! lol.
    However I am not saying its right as I have no experience with water dragons, if you changed the water like every second/third day that would stop the build of eggs/worms/bacteria however, correct me if I am wrong, fish need bacteria in the water to survive dont they?

12. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Depends what kind of fish. And worms have a life cycle about a week to a few months depending. so u cleaning it every few days will do nothing. the fish well just keep pooping and the eggs will travel to there host faster since its in a small area and will multply rapidly.

13. Dragoncouple

Dragoncouple New Member

Ok i just readt this page and i am horrified i have been placing small feeders in my wd's tank every now and then. I had a small fish tank full of tetra's and one day when she was out she took off staraight for the tank before i could grab her she dived into the tank and ate one of my fish. I looked it up and they said that they can eat small fish and pinkies. And now i am feeling horrible cause she loves her lil fish but i dont want to give her anything that will harm her. What do you think is best to do ????

14. shortygirl

Lay off the fish. Too risky in my opinion. Here's how live "whole food" items go - pinkies/fuzzies then chickens then fish. So you can & should use pinkies (when age / length approriate). I use crickets, supers, roaches, silkies, phoenix worms & my guys are on fuzzies now. & keep trying the veggies/greens - s/he may not eat it, but then again, s/he might! You could get lucky!

Looking forward to the new pics!

~Michelle

15. sdellin

sdellin New Member

Oh, YUK! I fed my wds feeder fish once! I'm so sorry I did that. I won't be doing it again, I'm glad I only did it once! Thanks for pointing out the problems with it.

You all are going to think me nuts, but I have given my wds thawed frozen krill. One of them loves it and i buy it for the saltwater fish I have. Not sure where I got the idea, but I figured that if it's okay for the fish, it should be okay for the dragons. Okay, come on, hit me with the reprimands, I'm ready for ya!

16. shortygirl

lol - I've honestly never heard about krill. I;d just check the nutritional content to make sure - maybe someone else has ideas?

By the way - I don't think a couple of fish here and there will do any major harm, and they probably enjoy the new adventure, I just wouldn't make it a routine feeder. :D

~Michelle

17. cwddude

cwddude New Member

Re: RE: are feeder fish good to eat?

AGREED. Fish aren't bad as a change up. I give mine fish about once every couple of months. As soon as they are eaten, I change the water. If you follow this, it will be fine.

18. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

Why do you change the water after?

19. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

To get rid of any bacteria left behind by the fish so your WD can have a fresh clean drink ;)

20. cwddude

cwddude New Member

Most parasites are passed from fecal matter. Fish will poo in the water, so I can it to prevnt any chance of parasites.

21. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

Parasites are passed by eating the fish....not just from the poop in the water. BTW, if the dragon happened to eat the fish when the fish contains poop (which it always would) then it would get the parasite anyhow according to your theory.

Many parasites are passed due to a creature eating another creature...a cat eats a mouse that contains parasites....and the cat now has the parasites. A human eats fish with hookworms or tapeworms, the human now has the hook worms or the tapeworms...
    http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/de.../all/agdex10097

Another site.....
    http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~schisto/OtherFl...man.flukes.html

Although this site is also concerning humans, it will give you an idea of how different parasites are transmitted from one host to another...
    http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/224/Parasitology.html

22. cwddude

cwddude New Member

I understand what you're saying. I was saying a generalization. But truely, ALOT of parasites are passed from fecal matter.

I'm not just talking about something I dont understand. I am a 3rd year zoology undergrad lol.

23. kinyonga

kinyonga Member

Didn't mean to offend you...just the way you worded it I didn't know if you understood or not.