are mesh cages alright fr a ball python

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by tony_welch, Jan 24, 2005.

1. tony_welch

tony_welch Embryo

are mesh cages alright for a ball python, or is it to hard to keep humidity in the mesh cages. i read if there is not enough humidity in the cage that the snake will not shed its skin.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jambooti

jambooti New Member

It is impossible to keep humidity in mesh cages. If the room itself is very dry the cage will be too.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Mesh is only good for chameleons.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. tony_welch

tony_welch Embryo

what about aquariums, say a 55 gallon with a plexi glass lid

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. hrpuffnstuf

hrpuffnstuf Embryo

mesh cages

I agree...you will not keep humidity in a mesh cage. With a 55g tank you may struggle to keep your temps up as well as the humidity. I'm using a 40g breeder tank with plexiglass covering 2/3 of the top. HP on the bottom and a 50w overhead on the hot end. Use reptibark and keeping humidity up will become much easier.

good luck

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ryeshu

Ryeshu New Member

I agree Repti bark is probally the best and it gives your snakes cage a great look.

12. tony_welch

tony_welch Embryo

so i should get repti bark, how should i keep the humidity up. maybe one of those foggers are they alright.

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

If you cover the opening 3/4ths of the way you should have no issues with humidity. I dont like reptibark, cuz it holds mold easily. i would use cypress mulch like from Home depot. Ball Pythons really dont need allot of humidity, they come fro a fairly arid region of Africa.

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

I have found that BPs do best when provided with a humid hide. (A rubbermaid or sterilite container filled with damp moss) The hides simulate the damp humid burrows that they hide in during the hot arid days in the Savannahs of Africa.

15. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

Our snake didn't shed in one piece, for lack of humidity, so we put some damp sphagnum moss in one end of his hide, and it worked well.