Are they worth it:? (Vision Cages)

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Habes, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Habes

Habes Embryo

I was just wondering if any had a vision cage? Are they really worth the money, or its it best just to go with a tank???

:!: Any suggestions would be great thanks :!:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Dont much about the Visions although I have heard that they dont hold humidity that well and tend to sag with age.
    Boaphiles are supposed to be the best out there and at 199 shipped for a 4x2 the price is good too.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Jujube

Jujube New Member

i just got a vision cage (24" x 22" x 14" h) for my new corn, annabelle, who is 3 yrs old and about 40 inches long. i really like it so far. the only problem is, if you have a baby snake, they can slip out between the small crack made by the two sliding glass doors; it's less than 1/4" gap but it's been known to happen. for larger snakes, you can buy a particular lock made for these cages that'll prevent any movement of the doors. also, i have an UTH that is suppose to be used w/ "glass only" but vision cages are made of really hardy material and so it's no where near warping with the UTH on it, thus heating isn't a problem. the lighting niche that is built in works great and you don't have to worry about bedding falling out because there's about a 1" margin on all sides from the edge of the cage to the glass; this 1" ledge also seems to be a favorite hiding place. money wise, my cage was $100 vs $75 or so for nice 20 gal aquariums which is what my friend payed for hers. i think the vision cage is perfectly fine and seems like it should last a good long while. if you'd like, i can email you pics of my setup; the cage pics on most retail websites don't give you enough detail, imho. i have a large water bowl, cave, and log/branch and annabelle still has plenty of room to cruise around. anyway, i hope that helps! good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Habes

Habes Embryo

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Habes

Habes Embryo

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

The problem with Vision cages specially for colubrids is you will NEVER see the snake. Snakes Always hide on the lip of the door. I bought one and had the intent of doing the hole snake room in them, but I was so bent about them I only got the one cage. Theres allo better options for colubrids. Precision caging is pretty nice for colubrids, inexpensive and nicely built.

12. Jujube

Jujube New Member

The pic sizes were on the large side so I put them in a photobucket instead. Here are the links:

Front View:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/stp...nnabelle007.jpg

Inside, can see the built-in light niche:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/stp...nnabelle011.jpg

Top View:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/stp...nnabelle010.jpg
    (the black light housing hanging there is the ceramic heat bulb for night time)

The Ledge:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/stp...nnabelle009.jpg
    (this is the ledge above the glass doors in front)

My Annabelle :)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v683/stp...nnabelle014.jpg

The sides and back are just the plain "granite" finish, no glass or anything, and the light niche serves as ventiliation as well. Let me know if you need any other particular shots of the cage. Hopefully these work!

13. Pcircle85

Pcircle85 New Member

What's the bedding you have in there? I like that.

14. Jujube

Jujube New Member

It's called Habi-Chip and I got it from lllreptile.com; Annabelle loves to burrow under it and then poke out for a bit. :wink: The description says it's "snake safe."

15. Habes

Habes Embryo

Thanks for the pics. I think I'll have to get one!!!!

Thanks again

16. Jujube

Jujube New Member

Awesome! No problem, glad to help! :)

17. Habes

Habes Embryo

Jujube, Where did you buy your vision cage, and what size light hood do you use on the top, also what type of U.T.H. do you use???

18. Jujube

Jujube New Member

I got all my supplies for lllreptile.com, including the cage. My 24" L x 22" W x 14" H Vision cage was $99, 18" fluourescent fixture is $26.99, 15" UVB 5.0 bulb for the fixture is $17.99, Exo-Terra Medium Sized UTH is $14.95, Medium sized branch is $13.75, and 8 quarts of Habi-Chip bedding is $5.59. I got 8 quarts so I can use half now (4 quarts) and half later or to use as needed. Corns don't need lighting, but my apartment at college gets cold in the winter so during the day the UVB helps keep air temps warm, and for at night, I ended up buying a 40 watt ceramic heat bulb in a medium sized housing from a local pet place. I don't reccommend lllreptile's water bowls, they're way too shallow for snakes to properly soak in when they need to shed; their hides/caves aren't bad, but their 8" diameter was only true in one direction, the rest of it was oddly shapped and too small for Annabelle to be comfy. As a result, I went and got a larger hide and bowl (as seen in the pictures) and am going to sell the cave and dish from lllreptile. Oh, and for a Vision cage, since the doors can slide, I strongly suggest buying the case lock ($11). After reading escape stories, I decided it wasn't worth it not to have one. The website does sell prepackaged reptile "kits" but the accessories aren't always what you precisely need/want which is why I bought just the cage and then accessories separately. This company is located in California but shipping time was decently prompt; I live in central Texas and it only took 3-4 days. Anyway, let me know if you need any other info. Best of luck with your new setup and herp!

19. Habes

Habes Embryo

Jujube, Does it get to hot in the cage using the U.T.H. without a theremostat??? A lot of people have to told me it does when you don't use one???

Thanks again for all your help!!!

20. Jujube

Jujube New Member

I do take substrate temps to regulate her cage, but I've noticed that the heat put out by the UTH is affected (more than I figured) by the ambient temp in my apartment. If it's on the cooler side in my room, the UTH keeps the warm side in the lower 80's. However, if it's warmer in my room, the UTH can get pretty hot for a corn.. close to 90 degrees. That's when I usually unplug it for a few hours and let it cool down into the low to mid 80's. I've been considering buying one of those dimmer switches from Home Depot so I don't have to unplug the UTH. I also have a cheap stick-on thermomenter (besides a digital one for the substrate) to give me a general reading on the warm side.

21. jackiet

jackiet New Member

I think I am getting a vision cage too-------- I have a new kitten coming into the household & currently have a reptile tank with screen lid--- I can already picture the cat lounging on top of the current cage------ I recrommend getting it!!!!

22. Goanna

Goanna Embryo

Hello. I was just wondeing if your cage was shipped seperate from the rest of your order? I think LLLreptile takes the orders, but the cages get shipped directly from vision. Makes sense since thew are not collapsible or anything, they would take up alot of space in a retail store.

Anyway, I just ordered a visionarium LLL and I know they forwarded the order to vision for processing. Neither company has sent me a tracking number though, and its been a week since I placed the order. I hope it arrives soon. With my luck it will probably come on a day when I am out and nobody will be there to sign for it, lol.

23. Jujube

Jujube New Member

My Vision cage came directly from LLLReptile. They may have had it sent to them first from the Vision company (I'm not sure), but the box to me was directly from them; they packed all the accessories inside the cage. If you're worried about your order, you should call them. I didn't get a tracking number either and was told they were in the process of switching from UPS to Fedex (but that was 2 months ago). Try putting your phone number in as the "reference number" on the Fedex website; it worked for me.