Argentine Vs. Red Tail Boa

Discussion in 'Boas' started by GotBalls, Oct 14, 2008.

1. GotBalls

GotBalls Embryo

Hey, ok I have been looking toget a new boa. There are several different subspecies at the pet store and I like the Albino Argentine but I cant find anybody that knows anything about them. How does there temperment compare to a Red Tail? Exactly how much bigger will the argentine get in leignth and girth? Is a Argentine acutaly a type of rainbow? I live in Indiana and The Expo is next month should i wait and buy at the expo or buy from a breeder now? Has anyone heard any good or bad about Jemery Stone.
    Thanks, randy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Randy,
    Argentine boas grow bigger than redtails, you are looking at 10ft+ and have a bad reputation for being agressive, not all, but most of them.
    Another thing you should know..Argentines are listed in the Appendix 1 of the CITES regulations, that means they are classed as endangered species and MUST have the paperwork with them stating they are captive bred from captive bred parents. If there is no LEGAL paperwork then leave well alone or you could end up in trouble with Customs & Excise board or the USA equivilant.

If you get one at an Expo, make sure the you the details of the seller, address, contact etc so you have some form of re-dress if things go wrong, like you would have if direct from breeder.

CITES = Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.
    Check out their site... http://www.cites.org/ you should find full details there on what is needed.

Personally, I would go with the Red-tails, far more docile and not as big to handle, but the choice is obviously yours.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. GotBalls

GotBalls Embryo

Hey, thanks for the response. I think the argentine looks kool and Jemery Stone has an albino for sale that is fairly cheap. Have you ever heard of him or seen anything he has produced?
    Thanks, Randy

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Sorry I can't answer that question, I live in the UK so have no dealings with him.