argentinian tegu tail torn off...

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by argenttegu, Apr 17, 2009.

1. argenttegu

argenttegu Embryo

I got this argentinian black and white tegu a few years ago and he was around 3 years old when we bough him. He was always aggressive with anyone who tried to handle him. Unfortunately, today my mother decided to take him out of his cage and let him roam around. After an hour or so she went to put him away and he didnt want to go. So she broke rule #1 and pulled him out from under the couch by his tail and threw him in a cage. She threw him into the cage backwards which resulted in the snappin of his tail about 7 inches down his tail that used to be around a foot and a half long. He eventually came out of his rage and the tail had been completely removed from his body. There isnt any evidence of bone but there is a big amount of flesh in strips that extend about a quarter inch from the uppermost layer of scales. No blood that is visible. image200904170001.jpg

I don't know what to do. vet? nothing? please help IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. I appreciate comments but I need a straight answer from someone who absolutely knows what to do.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Sorry to hear of the accident.

Only one answer...VET.. stump needs closing cleaning and probably anti-biotics to stop any infection.
    Would be better also if you could put him on paper towel or similar, this will help keep wound clean and help prevent infection from present substrate.
    Hope all goes well with him.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. argenttegu

argenttegu Embryo

Thanks for the response I showed my mother and she said that she had called the vet and that she had talked to a "Lizard Lady" and that LL said that it doesnt necessarily need to be brought in. I'm still going to keep pressuring her to consider it though.

Thanks again for the help.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    It's the strips of flesh that worry me, open flesh could be an inlet for infection.
    Have you a local pet shop of reptile shop near you, if so get some antiseptic liquid.
    Something like this--
    Wound Aid apply as directed.
    As I said before, if you can remove the substrate it will help a lot.
    Keep a close eye on it and any sign of infection..then vet.
    I believe they eat crickets...right ? care should be taken to see that no crickets eat the open wound. Dont leave them in overnight.
    Keep the pressure up on a vet visit.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. argenttegu

argenttegu Embryo

He is large enough to eat adult mice, but he also eats almost anything we put infront of him. So we gave him some raw egg and he seems fine with that but we are considering attempting a betadine solution on the tail but the tegu refuses to cooperate. The tail on his body surprisingly doesnt have any strands of muscle its just the tail that broke off that has strands poking out.

and she agreed to go to the vet if any sign of infection appears.

we put him in a collapsible dog kennel and it has more then enough room for him.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    A betadine solution is great, just what you need. Might be an idea to dilute it slightly, use a Q-tip or similar dip it in water then add the betadine.
    It will take 2 people to hold him or better still wrap him in a towel first, especially the head, then 1 hold other apply solution.
    I was forgetting they eat mice etc, eggs are good as well.
    That dog kennel will do fine will remove a lot of risk against infection.
    Well done
    Keep us posted.
    I forgot to welcome you to the forum, sorry, but the reply was urgent, hope you enjoy yourself here.