attack tanks

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by teeterturtle, Jul 20, 2007.

1. teeterturtle

teeterturtle Embryo

ok so i want to buy a turtle and i already have a 10 gallon tank is that big enough? i want to get a baby turtle. doese anyone no anyone whos selling them cheaper tham $55 ? if you do please tell me. p.s. why are brothers such jerks sometimes?

teeter turtle

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. rinako

rinako New Member

What kind of turtle are you planning on getting?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Regardless of the type, no a 10 gallon will not be big enough. Most hatchlings are already an inch to an inch and a half at hatching. Basic rule for aquatics is 10 gallons per inch. Within just just a few weeks, with proper care, a turtle would already be too big for a 10 gallon.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

The general rule of any turtle would be 1in. to 10 gallon. Baby turtles would be about 3-4in. when just a few weeks old. You are might get one from a pet store, correct? If so, you might be getting a 5-6in. turtle. Which means you might need a 55-75 gallon tank. -- Also, just to make sure, you will also need River rock (no gravel) as this will not cause impaction. Another note, make sure you get a nice warm UVB bulb for the turtle as well! You want him to be nice and comfortable in his new, big home, right?

Have you check the Craig list ads in your area? They sell mighty cheap tanks. I found a 75 gallon for $40. Maybe you should give it a shot :wink:

That is very responsible of you to check with professionals before getting your new aquatic friend. Keep it up, dude! It is just a matter of time before you get a good, happy turtle!

Keep it up,
    Dahaki

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

It actually takes several weeks - months for them to reach that size.
    Better to use no rock at all, it makes it more difficult for the filter to keep the water clean as food bits and poo will settle down between the rocks.
    Ribbed plastic floor runner can be added for texture or the bottom can be left bare.
    Only mercury vapor UVB bulbs put out any sort of heat, and might not be wise to use on a smaller (around 30-40 gallon) aquarium, as they put out a lot of heat.
    Fluorescent UVB bulbs will work but will require that a second incandescent bulb be used for heat.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. croc_gator_rebeccak3

croc_gator_rebeccak3 Well-Known Member

Well Strange_wings. I am still sort of new on turtles. Thanks for pointing those out. :-D

I have a question though (beginners question), so you would have nothing what so ever on the bottom or your tank. Is there anything to put on the bottom of your turtle tank rather than just leave it bare? You seem educated enough for me to ask my turtle questions to.

Sincerely,
    Dahaki

12. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

It's personal preference really. It just makes it easier to keep clean if there isn't a lot of stuff on the bottom.
    I imagine slate or ceramic tiles that fit well would look nice, and more natural then any other option. However the raised texture on the underside of ceramic tiles would likely collect small pieces of food and poo too. You can use textured plastic carpet runner, ribbed/lined, not the kind with little pokey spikes.
    Or just stick a couple of decorations in there.

The turtles are going to care less than we do about appearances, all they appreciate is having clean water. :(

13. MikeFuture

MikeFuture New Member

Imagine scouring river rocks twice a month to keep them clean? Keeping the tank bare won't bother the turtle and it will make life a lot easier. I stopped keeping turtles because the water changing was a pain. Years ago, i used to keep one of those mats of astroturf on the bottom of some of my snapper tanks. They can be easily lifted out and cleaned.

As for great first turtles ; Musk Turtles (Sternotherus) and Mud Turtles (Kinosternon) are a good choice. They stay small but still need at least a 20 gallon long aquarium.

14. teeterturtle

teeterturtle Embryo

turtle

um... i sorta want a painted turtle.at a1 aquarium in my city there selling them for $55. there babys and are only like 1 inch.

teeterturtle

15. Kypsalis74

Kypsalis74 New Member

RE: turtle

Hi Teeter...Not sure where you are at but I'm not aware of anywhere that allows pet stores to sell a turtle that small. I'm sure you could get such a young turtle from a breeder but even that might cross some legal boundaries. Chances are, if you are buying a painted turtle at a pet store he's going to be at least 4 inches. This would definitely require a 40 gallon tank. Many people use a 20 and get along fine with it...I did for some months but you have to be prepared to upgrade as soon as you can.

Having a painted is great fun...I've had my guy for 8 years and he's like a member of the family...but you need to make sure he's going to be comfortable where he's at.

16. my_baby_anoles

my_baby_anoles Member

Hello Teeter, and welcome to reptile rooms. Ok, so I am not trying to be negative or mean, but you really do not sound ready to own a turtle. They really are not as easy as they seem. I have to change my red ear sliders 77gal tank every two days (and that is a lot of water). Used to be every day until I found a miracle filter system, which was 300$. Thje turtles are not low maintenance, depending on the type. They really are not pets you can handle like a puppy or kitten, or even some forms of lizards. Now I may be wrong, but just judging by the first post "p.s.-why are little brothers such jerks sometimes" makes me think you may be a bit young...have you researched what you want and the proper care? And a 10 gal tank is really really not proper for a turtle, there is not a whole lot you can put in a 10gal other than fish and some small inverts maybe...

17. Tinkerbell21

Tinkerbell21 New Member

I use bare bottom tanks in both my turtles tanks--so you don't just see nothing, I spray painted the bottoms (on the outside) with brown, green and black paint to resemble the bottom of a river or lake.

I agree with the last poster--turtles are not only a time but a money commitment. It isn't just the startup cost it is the upkeep cost. In three years I have spent over $900 in turtles supplies--not including my tanks which I got for free. I am also prepared to take them to a vet the minute they would need it. UVB lights must be replaced either every six months for fluorescent or if using the Mega ray mercury vapor bulb once a year. With bigger tanks come bigger filters. The fact of the matter is NO aquatic turtle should have to live in a tank without a filter. I don't care if you change the water every two days it isn't fair to the turtle. I have a filter rated for I believe 175 gallons and it is cycling only 45 gallons of water--my water is extremely clean--it needs to be so the turtles don't develop infections. Remember they may not breathe the water but they do drink it.

Unless you have a consistent flow of money, I would say a turtle is not for you.

Leslie

18. shinchanyo

shinchanyo New Member

i dont really kno much abut painted turtles but i can go 2 a creek and find easter box turtles. im more of a tropical and desert reptile type a guy.not much turtles (even tho ive had 10 box turtles and tryed to breed them...)

19. strange_wings

strange_wings Member

Re: RE: turtle

It is horrible to steal these animals, in many areas these species (box turtles) are really suffering population wise because of both casual collecting and the pet trade. It's almost as bad as poaching and is often illegal.
    Never steal these animals from the wild or suggest it...