Australian water dragon

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Keynorre, May 4, 2008.

1. Keynorre

Keynorre Embryo

I just got an Australian water dragon and I need informations. 4 years ago I had a chinese water dragon, but when I bought my new one the pet shop didn't make the difference between those two species.
    It's so hard to find information on the Physignathus lesueurii, if you have any I'd be happy to take it !
    Thank you ^_^

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

Tricas water dragon site is probably one of the best ive seen about water dragons but its mainly about Chinese water dragons. Theyre the same in some ways but even though my AWD isnt even a year old and less than half the size of both my CWDs ive noticed alot of differences between them, and im sure he'll change alot more as he gets older.
    AWDs tolerate temp changes alot better than CWDs do. CWDs get stressed if temps are nigh and seem to like it generally cooler in most of their cage, and AWDs from what ive noticed like more of a range of temps to bask in and like it warmer in their cage. Ive seen mine very happy basking at a spot that was 98-99 degrees, which a CWD would hate. Its hard to find alot about AWDs since not many people have them, so i just gave him a range of temps he could choose from.

Do you have a pic of him/her to make sure it is actually a AWD and not a CWD. Its rare to find these guys in pet stores since they dont export animals from australia, you have to buy them mostly from breeders.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Keynorre

Keynorre Embryo

[​IMG]

Here it is. It's really an Australian water dragon :) He's not as green as the chinese one and has those black stripes on his back.

Thanks for your help. The only thing that I don't understand is the holes he's doing everywhere under the branches. My Chinese water dragon wasn't doing that... And the fact that he doesn't seems to like humidity. When I start the brumisator he begins to scrach on the glass...[/img]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

I wouldnt worry about the humidty with him/her. The humidty in my AWDs tank is around 40% i think. I dont do anything to raise it really, i mist him like maybe once a day, sometimes twice. He loves swimming in his pool but doesnt like humidity in the tank, and hes never had a problem shedding without the humidity either.

BTW really cute AWD, looks just like mine. Do you know how old he/she is?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Keynorre

Keynorre Embryo

Hum, I suppose between 2 and 4 months but I really don't know. He's (I say He before I know :)) 1 foot long. Maybe you could tell me .
    About the humidity I was just scared about the shedding, cause all the informations I got about AWD are coming most part from CWD informations.

12. Spazzy3

Spazzy3 New Member

Mine is about 10-11 inches long. He slowed down growing alot in the winter, if he hadnt he would probably be bigger.
    I got him from www.agamainternational.com , the guy i brought him has a lot of good info on them in his site.
    His AWD eggs started hatching on july 1st and i got him about 2 weeks later (he keeps them for a while to let them start eating before theyre shipped) When i got him he was only about 5-6 inches long.

With yours being from a petstore its impossible to tell the exact age, but from the pic he seems around the same age as mine.

heres a pic of him
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/che...ds/100_3470.jpg

13. Keynorre

Keynorre Embryo

He is so cute ! So small :) Compared to the hand mine is a little bit bigger. Then he'd be just a little bit less than a year...they grow slower than tha CWD don't they ?