Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by anctennis01, Nov 6, 2007.

1. anctennis01

anctennis01 New Member

Question for everyone. What program did you use to make your picture small enough to use it as your avatar. I have tried shrinking it on Photobucket, but it does not make it small enough to get accepted my reptilerooms.com.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions, a free program would be ideal! THanks!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. craziiikris10

craziiikris10 Member

i just used paint, ya know the little kids program that comes on every computer, most people tho (i think) use photoshop (which is no where close to being free) so yea u can jus use paint. btw this probably doesnt belong here it probably needs to be in either general discussion or photography, lol but thats ok.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ddwcmp555

ddwcmp555 Embryo

You can use Photoshop or any photo editing software.

Paint doesn't help. It only shrinks the canvas and screws up the image.

http://www.gimp.org/windows

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ddwcmp555

ddwcmp555 Embryo

Re: RE: Avatar Question

Stand corrected. hehe. I tried using paint and I went to the Attributes to shrink it and it only crops the image.

I don't use it though, I just wanted to see if it worked on paint. ;p

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. anctennis01

anctennis01 New Member

Question for everyone. What program did you use to make your picture small enough to use it as your avatar. I have tried shrinking it on Photobucket, but it does not make it small enough to get accepted my reptilerooms.com.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions, a free program would be ideal! THanks!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. craziiikris10

craziiikris10 Member

lol good idea moving it but didnt u already have an answer? anyway there is a program called McKaffee it's free and the icon is some kind of red smudge thing, i'm not sure where to find it but i had it on my old computer it resizes images...
    im sorry it's not called mc kaffee (thats a virus program, duh!) it's actually spelled sorta like X___ something im sorry i cant remeber :'( maybe u can still find it, just google image resizer download, or image resizer x

12. Jacquie

Jacquie New Member

RE: Re: RE: Avatar Question

I tried to make an avatar using Photoshop - I resized to the size that is acceptable, in fact I even tried going a little smaller, but it still wouldn't work - so I gave up and just took one of the stock avatars. But I'd love to know what may have gone wrong, if anyone has any thoughts . . .

13. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

14. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I just use paint in windows. Just go to image and select stretch/skew and shrink it down (I usually go 25% 25% and then 90% until it is small enough). You can see if it is within the forum limits by selecting atributes.

15. Sassy_Tiva

Sassy_Tiva New Member

I tried the paint thing and it dosen't work for me :)

16. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Merged the two identical threads you had going...please don't post duplicates.

17. anctennis01

anctennis01 New Member

Sorry, I was told to move it so that it was under site feedback and questions. See above

18. Sassy_Tiva

Sassy_Tiva New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Avatar Question

That PIXresizer works AWESOME!! Thank You!

19. Secularian

Secularian New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Avatar Question

IrfanView

Quite simply the best image viewer available for free download. Hands down. Resize/resample. Crop. Filter. Adjust colors, contrast, sharpness, blur, etc, etc. Save as and open nearly every image file you can think of and a few others, as well.

20. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

I have done some cropping and shrinking photos in paint. It is tricky, but it can be done. I don't know if it will give a small enough file size for an avatar or not though. Now, I use photoimpression to crop and edit my photos, and I use pixresizer (see Luke's link) to make them whatever size I want them to be.

21. anctennis01

anctennis01 New Member

Thanks guys!

22. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Avatar Question

You are very welcome :)

23. ordinaryworld_

ordinaryworld_ Embryo

I've cropped it and resized my photos just fine, but the problem I have is the size of the image is too big about 72 kb... I've tried dropping the resolution but still no dice... What is with that. I use photoshop and like... Why is it so hard to get to 11kb?? Any suggestions?