average price for a nice chameleon at a local pet store???

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by DreBrooks23, Nov 23, 2006.

1. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

8) Hi everyone i'm not new to lizards i have had 2 leopard gecko's,1 iguana,and 2 anoles but i neva had a chameleon and i wanted 2 kno there price range at your local pet store

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. theprayerposition

theprayerposition New Member

Well from local petstores I have seen then run usually from around 70 - 100 dollars for a baby. The price climbs with age dramatically. However, I picked up mine from a reptile show for $25, got to talk personally with the breeder, and even look at pictures of the parents/the incubation process. Much lower price and a much better experience, I'd definitely reccomend getting one from a show.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Heika

Heika Moderator

It really depends on what species you are looking for, and also whether you are purchasing a wild caught or captive bred animal. It also depends on what pet store you go to. Shows can be great places to find a CB chameleon, but ordering online from a good breeder is not a bad idea either. Personally, there isn't a pet store in my town where I would buy crickets, let alone a chameleon.

Heika

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

o ight i heard about the shows but there are not always in town i live in maryland so i have 2 really keep my eye out for one i really do want one though and as far as species i really could care less what species i mean they all change colors and stuff i mean wat is da cheapest species out of all and how many times do the shows come to town

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

There are loads of species, but Veileds are normally recommended as the best for your first chameleon. But they get very large and need very large cages. You said you wanted the cheapest, does this mean money is tight? If so, you might want to reconsider. Im not being harsh, just letting you know that they cost alot of money to keep.

I only just got into chams, and got my first one (a Veiled) a week ago so I dont know much about different species. But lots of research on google should give you some pointers.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cavemanpets

Cavemanpets Well-Known Member

I do know there are also Panther chameleons which are great if you are looking for a colorful chameleon but they are often really expensive as well... ive seen them online from 200-500 sometimes more depending on the parents... they also require cages that are a min of 24X24X48 as adults... which takes up alot of space.... good luck though

12. primitive_pixx

primitive_pixx New Member

At the pet stores around here (ontario canada) the petstore price seems fairly consistant at 120, baby or fully grown. Usually if you are buying all the gear at the same time as the animal you can ask them what kind of deal they can make you on the tank, vines, bark, heating lamp. We got 20% off our tanks and gear that way.

And most stores will price match, even on things like feeder crickets. We found an independant store that would sell us 250 crickets for 15 dollars when it would cost us 25 dollars for that much at the chain pet store, and when we told them they price matched.

Its exceedingly rare for them to discount a pet, but the merchandise they tend to sway more with. (since they make about 40% profit on merch anyways).

Start up costs for a chameleon is 125 animal, 100 large tank, 15-20 on heating, 10-15 on substraight, 10 on vines and greenery. weekly you're looking at ... 10 dollars on food (changes depending on how piggy they are)

13. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

o how big do they normal get i mean i heard that they like tall cages not long cages because they like 2 climb so i guess i get a cage thats bout 26'' tall and bout how many inches wide when i say cheapest i mean as far as the chameleon is concerned because once i get him i will take really good care but i dont want 2 spend alot of money just for pet.

14. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

Well tank size will depend on species, but for alot they recommend about 48" tall. Width dimensions will also depends on species.

You got any species in mind yet?

15. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

i think i want the veiled i say this because i'm new to chameleons and how big do these get i would also lik 2 know if i can keep the baby chameleon in a 10 gallon tank until it reaches bout wat size then put it n it's permant tank

16. primitive_pixx

primitive_pixx New Member

My male veiled is 17 inches long, fully grown, with tail extended. we kept our female in a 10 gallon for a couple of months and then really had to upgrade her.

Our male's tank is 2 feet high, 3 feet long and a foot wide. but I'm thinking about getting something bigger.

17. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

o ight well how much does did u pay for your female chameleon how much do they run for at a petsmart or petco just for average prces

18. DreBrooks23

DreBrooks23 New Member

o and one more thing does anybody kno any good shows that come 2 maryland or d.c regular if u do please give me the site